Forum very slow pages all of a sudden

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: Forum very slow pages all of a sudden

Post by chennes »

We spoke about this issue at the FPA general meeting this weekend -- @kkremitzki is going to investigate options for improved server resources, now that the FPA has a stable income we can rely on to cover the expense.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I also experienced a few 502 gateway errors today besides severe slowness, is this a hardware or software problem? Should we reconsider moving away from phpbb? (hopefully to something with proper search)
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

To the best of my knowledge phpbb is the only real open source solution: if we wanted to switch software providers (to one that supports things like ElasticSearch) I think we'd be looking at XenForo or Invision Community Suite. I don't know how much interest there will be in that sort of migration.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

It appears we are getting DDoSed. Working on it now.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jfc4120

Post by jfc4120 »

Code: Select all

Can a DDoS on your server affect (infect with malware or virus) my computer if I'm online on the forum?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

jfc4120 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:23 pm

Code: Select all

Can a DDoS on your server affect (infect with malware or virus) my computer if I'm online on the forum?
No, what they're doing is the equivalent of refreshing a page over and over to cause server load.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chennes wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 pm To the best of my knowledge phpbb is the only real open source solution: if we wanted to switch software providers (to one that supports things like ElasticSearch) I think we'd be looking at XenForo or Invision Community Suite. I don't know how much interest there will be in that sort of migration.
there's discourse
aapo

Post by aapo »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:38 pm It appears we are getting DDoSed. Working on it now.
Why would anyone DDoS FreeCAD Forum? Angry kids fiercely advocating Fusion 360 and trying to suppress competition? Scammers trying to blackmail the incredibly wealthy FreeCAD community? Does this mean we're finally famous? :D