Removing Image wb

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Removing Image wb

Post by GeneFC »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:13 pm Should the initial plane be aligned with the current camera position?
Lots of things are acceptable, but in my case this would not be optimal.

About 99% of the time I bring in a sketch, drawing, picture, etc. and place it on one of the principal planes. The image is then offset so that the (for example) x-y position is where I want it, and the (for example) z position is slightly below the plane. Then I create a sketch on the same plane as the image.

I can then "trace" over the image to get a good start on the sketch without endlessly trying to refer to an external set of coordinates, lengths, etc.

This simplifies getting the sketch into a close resemblance to the final requirement.

Therefore I like the idea of presenting an orientation selection feature to the user as a very early step in the import.

I would never use the current camera position.

Of course others may have different needs.

Gene
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Lots of things are acceptable, but in my case this would not be optimal.

I would never use the current camera position
+1
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:30 pm I would never use the current camera position.
I'm assuming that the import process results in the image plane being created AND the imageplane task panel being opened so the user can fine-tune the import. For example, the image might need to be scaled, rotated, etc.

Since we have to start with the image plane somewhere, there are two possibilities;

1) You default the plane to ..... something. XY plane? Another plane? Camera position?
2) You ask the user where to put it.

#2 means the user ALWAYS faces a dialog box. That seems unnecessary since they have probably already aligned the view anyway some part of the time and we're going to immediately show them the task panel that has all the controls for reorienting it anyway.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

sliptonic wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm #2 means the user ALWAYS faces a dialog box. That seems unnecessary since they have probably already aligned the view anyway some part of the time and we're going to immediately show them the task panel that has all the controls for reorienting it anyway.
As I said, there are lots of workable choices.

Your choice means I would typically need more steps in order to attach or align a random placement to match one of the principal planes. Currently I need only simple xyz offsets.

Others may want the "camera view", but personally, I cannot imagine an application for that view.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

xtemp09 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:25 am I'm just watching 230302 - freecad and free cae users conference - day 2 of 3-001.mp4 and in this video at 02:18:12 POV-Ray rendering result is shown as an image in FreeCAD in a separate tab.

Perhaps, removal of image viewer should be reconsidered. I think rendering result should be shown as image in a separate tab, instead of being opened by external tool.
If the API is used it could be kept but there's no real reason to have a workbench.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

sliptonic wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm ...
It depends, a sane default would be to reuse actual view as the plane, you use top view you have XY orientation and so on.

Created image object eill have some properties, so scale, plane, transparency, offset and so on could be tuned here or maybe for things like transparency even some defaults coukd be set in preferences to ease repetitive tasks.

Fine tuning could be useful for exotic uses.

KISS it is like when you create a cube in Part WB, you get a 10mm cube and tune it according your needs.

Regards

Carlo D.
Last edited by onekk on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:47 pm
sliptonic wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm #2 means the user ALWAYS faces a dialog box. That seems unnecessary since they have probably already aligned the view anyway some part of the time and we're going to immediately show them the task panel that has all the controls for reorienting it anyway.
As I said, there are lots of workable choices.

Your choice means I would typically need more steps in order to attach or align a random placement to match one of the principal planes. Currently I need only simple xyz offsets.

Others may want the "camera view", but personally, I cannot imagine an application for that view.

Gene
What I'm thinking about is actually fewer steps. But we're getting too low-level for the forum. It sounds like we have general consensus about removing the image workbench and replacing the functionality with an improved imageplane tool that is implemented in core. We can continue the low-level discussion in the issue and let a developer implement a solution.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the idea of of opening a task directly after import. To reflect the workflow I used so far - and I think Gene is doing exactly the same - it would provide

- a possibility to scale the image
- place it on one of the main planes, that could be three radio buttons like we have now; it could even be the attachment dialog.
- a possibility to move it in its local coordinate system: x/y to center, and z to offset
- a possibility to rotate it around its z axis

With a selector for the planes we could well serve the more exotic use case as well, where the image is aligned to the current view. It remains the question at what z-level this should be done.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bambuko wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:29 am it's already possible (see my post earlier in this thread), by using backlight (preferences) and image transparency (image appearance)
Setting transparency is appreciated, but it is no replacement for offsetting the plane behind the tracing sketch level. Otherwise the image vanishes if Sketcher ViewSection is enabled.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/8955/files moves the image loading to the core system