Removing Image wb

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Removing Image wb

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:48 pm And your attitude towards accepting the process or apparently even reading it are hurting it's adoption, specially since it's coming from respected forum moderators (case in point).
I don't like your insinuations about my attitude. When you quote something, you should accept that people will react to the quote. I don't see why this should get personal, but I apologize of course, if I have hurt your feelings with that.

You may have noted, that I contributed to this topic on Github. But I have also realized that fruitful discussions rather tend to cease instead of being continued on Github. That may be on purpose, to avoid never ending discussions, but I still think we should be careful when to move.
That's all I was after.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

I think (in Open Discussion probably thinking and guessing is admitted ?) that the Fact that a PR exist, will not avoid discussion.

Plus GitHub has some flaws, one of them is that many people simply hate the way some rules are taken by GH owners, take it as a fact.

In OpenSource there are even capable programmers that have some "strong feels" against or in favour of some "actors", if not as example Linux has not been so widespread and having Internet managed by old UNICES or "W. Servers" machines probably will result in a big mess.

Discussing without contributing and entering in details about "coding questions" is IMHO more taylored here than on GH, as I have some feeling that most of the "non coders" users are slightly feared by the GH way of doing things, with the mixed "technical posts" like the commits, and so on and the "discourse" part.

And I could say that I'm a "coder" not a "professional coder" but I don't fear to touch things, but GH is intimidating me even if I use it, but for weel know "procedures".

GH documentation is even more complicated to read than some FreeCAD wiki pages, as you are submerged by technical terms, and some of them have "subtle meanings", so you have to be very skilled to orient in branch, commits, rebase, merge and such things.

So the fact that some "non developers" have some fear to use GH should be taken in account if something useful should be made. (I'm not insinuating that is done on purpose to lower noise)

Kind Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

btw I use there "you" as plural, unfortunately I don't know how to clearly communicate that in english? In spanish we use tu or vos when referring to one person and ustedes when referring to multiple.
Anyways it is not me or my feelings that is hurt by this it is the adoption of the process, see my linked example. You claim discussion stalls on github, well of course it'll stall if people keep discussing on the forum even after being explicitly told to head to the issue! we need help here to lead by example and redirect people to the appropriate place.
chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 am When you quote something, you should accept that people will react to the quote.
You are right and I should have been more explicit about the importance of context on the quotes.
I don't see why this should get personal
It is not personal for me, I'm just advocating for reading, understanding and putting in practice the approved process.
onekk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:19 amDiscussing without contributing and entering in details about "coding questions" is IMHO more taylored here than on GH
for general discussions and help requests even if it is about coding, yes the forum is the right place, this is even mentioned in the contribution process. But that is not the case here, we are talking about an identified issue that is in the process of preparing a solution, the github issue is the correct place to voice your needs for this tool.
as I have some feeling that most of the "non coders" users are slightly feared by the GH way of doing things [...]
you are submerged by technical terms, and some of them have "subtle meanings", so you have to be very skilled to orient in branch, commits, rebase, merge and such things.
this one of the misconceptions that we need help dismantling, you don't need any knowledge of PRs, branchs, commits, etc to participate in an issue. We are not talking of getting involved in PRs here. Of course it is better if those participating take the time and learn something of this but it is not required.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:45 am ...
as I have some feeling that most of the "non coders" users are slightly feared by the GH way of doing things [...]
you are submerged by technical terms, and some of them have "subtle meanings", so you have to be very skilled to orient in branch, commits, rebase, merge and such things.
this one of the misconceptions that we need help dismantling, you don't need any knowledge of PRs, branchs, commits, etc to participate in an issue. We are not talking of getting involved in PRs here. Of course it is better if those participating take the time and learn something of this but it is not required.
Hello, you are quoting not the same sentence.
you are submerged ...
Is a consideration about GH documentation that is not very user friendly, ad it is explained in a very technical manner, probably miswritten and out of context, sorry but I have amended the post and probably I've not read with needed care before posting.

The point is that commenting on GH (First part o your quote) expecially when you have some coder comment in between

See as example this image for a FreeCAD PR:
GH.png
GH.png (124.36 KiB) Viewed 735 times
You are confronted by many developers actions, so that will break the flow of the discussion, and IMHO is slightly intimidating, if you are not used to it.

Hoping to having explained better now.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Like I said, we are not talking of participating in Pull Request, we are talking of Issues, there are instances where in an issue it will say that someone referenced that issue somewhere else, but I don't think that is a problem. Issues are a middle ground for both users and developers.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Btw, did you realize that when importing images in version 0.21, a size of 100mm x 100mm is always obtained?
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

If you (where I am from, @adrianinsaval, we would say "y'all" as the plural here :lol: ) are following along with this development, we've just merged the interactive resize feature into master, so you should have it available immediately if self-compiling, or Coming Soon if you are using a weekly dev build.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

with the end of Image workbench, wiki has to be updated like here https://wiki.freecad.org/User_hub for ex.