Removing Image wb

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: Removing Image wb

Post by chennes »

I had not yet created an Issue for this, but it seems there is consensus at least on the forums here that this is an “identified and agreed upon problem”. I vote we get an issue opened, finish this discussion, and then start coding 😎.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chennes wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:06 pm I had not yet created an Issue for this, but it seems there is consensus at least on the forums here that this is an “identified and agreed upon problem”. I vote we get an issue opened, finish this discussion, and then start coding
Let's co-opt this issue: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/8556
aapo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:59 pm
Ooh, that's a nice idea! :D Then after opening the file, the toolbox/dialog/whatever could pop up and you'd be able to input your offset, plane (XY/XZ/YZ) and scale. And doubleclicking the object in the tree would just reopen the same dialog. So, no functionality would be lost and it'd be quite clutter-free and convenient.
Should the initial plane be aligned with the current camera position? That seems intuitive to me. The user should always be able to align it via the task panel.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the ideas of using the well known import function plus a dedicated task dialog for scaling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yes using import seems like the most discoverable solution and it makes perfect sense
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Well sounds good then. I'll get started.

For the placement:
- Automatically it would start at current view plane
- Then the imageplane taskbox would have something similar to the feature pick of PartDesign_NewSketch. Or the attachement taskbox. (those needs to be harmonized btw, no reason we would need several)

I created an issue to discuss it further about it's technical questions :
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/8945
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:35 am For the placement:
- Automatically it would start at current view plane
That would be different from other imports. And if we already make it different, shouldn't we rather show the planes selection dialog which is shown now? More than 95% (a guess) if not more, of the images I have seen here are on one of the main planes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

paddle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:35 am Well sounds good then. I'll get started.
If you're dealing with this problem, could you please also consider to solving another issue with images: that they're not visible from the back-side, we only get a black rectangle. It would be very useful – and absolutely intuitive – to have a semi-transparent viewpoint from the back of the image.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
xtemp09

Post by xtemp09 »

paddle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:01 pm- The image viewer is removed. All tools from the toolbar are removed.
I'm just watching 230302 - freecad and free cae users conference - day 2 of 3-001.mp4 and in this video at 02:18:12 POV-Ray rendering result is shown as an image in FreeCAD in a separate tab.

Perhaps, removal of image viewer should be reconsidered. I think rendering result should be shown as image in a separate tab, instead of being opened by external tool.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:31 pm I like the ideas of using the well known import function plus a dedicated task dialog for scaling.
+1 for me, standard File > Open plus additional dialog to set things.

But please think something about Scripting something easy when importing an img object something simple as:

Code: Select all

img = FreeCAD.import("../images/images.png")
img.setPlane = ...
img.setScale = ...
img.Placement = ...

# and eventually

img.getPlane
img.getScale

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:20 am It would be very useful – and absolutely intuitive – to have a semi-transparent viewpoint from the back of the image.
very useful indeed
glad that someone agrees with me ;)
it's already possible (see my post earlier in this thread), by using backlight (preferences) and image transparency (image appearance)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here