Removing Image wb

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: Removing Image wb

Post by heda »

my 2 cents

a) please use import, one imports (adds) to an existing fcstd
(as opposed to open a file, which then typically puts things in a blank fcstd)
come to think of it,
could of course allow for both open (add to new) and import (add to existing)

b) skip initial dialogue/panel, just use it on double-click edit

c) make pref-setting panel for options like initial placement, view-settings etc
then everyone can tune to whatever they want,
defaults to xy-plane

d) seconds onekk on that a nice py-api is worth striving for,
especially an easy way to get/set the raw pixel-data
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

heda wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:10 am b) skip initial dialogue/panel, just use it on double-click edit
I bet that the vast majority will at least scale the image after import. Thus the double click, possibly with scrolling the tree, can well be omitted. If it's ok without, just close the task panel with a single click.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

In some tools, you can drag an image to the app window and it is inserted on the plane of the current view. Afterward the normal scale and positioning tools work as with any other object (obviously, to the extent they could work with an image).
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I almost never use the same initial position for images. I seldom scale them.

This is a relatively uncommon operation. I doubt that anyone spends a significant amount of time repeatedly loading images into a model.

Just open the task panel automatically and let it be immediately closed by the user if it is not needed.

I would guess that I would need the task panel 100% of the time.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Those who use images frequently scale them to a close approximation to the actual size to trace over. Quite handy in Curves workbench actually.

I'm not sure what purpose an image in the 3D field would serve if it was not scaled. Simple reference to the shape in question? If so, opening outside of FC, in an image viewer, seems more appropriate.

An image on a TechDraw page would have no need of scale, I'd guess.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:18 am ...I bet that the vast majority will at least scale the image after import...
yes, yes :)
what is important (again to me YMMV) is that one is able to set independently both X and Y scales

Also:
What I would like to be able to do at the point of import is to set image transparency.
All of my images are transparent and I would prefer that this setting is:
GeneFC wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:25 pm ...not hidden behind 43 layers of clicking...
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I'll say this again. This forum topic was totally appropriate to float an initial idea (removing the image wb) and to get consensus. It did that.

Now the discussion has started involving lots of design considerations:
- considerations of workflow
- edge cases
- task panel design
- menu placement
- etc

This level of discussion does not belong here. If you want to participate in the design process, get your butts over to the issue. Otherwise, your good ideas are likely to be lost when the conversation moves on.

If a solution gets implemented that doesn't address a concern you raised only on the forum, you won't get any sympathy.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

sliptonic wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:40 pm I'll say this again.
This level of discussion does not belong here. If you want to participate in the design process, get your butts over to the issue.
I will say this again.

I think that is a terrible idea when the discussion is not related to code issues. Github conversations are very messy.

But you are the boss. 8-)

Gene
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:44 pm
I will say this again.

I think that is a terrible idea when the discussion is not related to code issues. Github conversations are very messy.

But you are the boss. 8-)
I'm not the boss. We collectively agreed and established a process to guide development. The process says that PRs close issues. It's the issue that says what needs to be done.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

sliptonic wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:16 pm
My point is that this issue is still in the "market research" stage, not the coding stage. There is no bug involved and no particular urgency. Moving forward is almost certainly a good choice, but a little discussion from those who use this capability will not seriously delay the progress. Likely a couple of days or so.

From what I can see the only thing that has been pretty clearly established is that the Image WB can be removed and replaced with some sort of equivalent function. Just what that function should include is the current topic of discussion.

Moving the market research to the R&D lab too soon leads to the "New Coke" phenomenon. The R&D folks thought it was great and the customers did not think the same way.

I fully agree that once an issue becomes fleshed out enough to start some sort of code action then moving all the discussion to github makes sense. The problem from moving too soon is that most of the users will not follow and the result is "New Coke".

Gene