Labelling/naming sketcher elements

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Labelling/naming sketcher elements

Post by drmacro »

Being to write notes anywhere would be nice. Even if it just overnight to remind where it was left off the previous day.

I often use the Tools>Add text document to add a page where I can make a sort of journal of various things.

One thing I find often in those journals is the why and wherefore of some workaround I used. (We all know workarounds are minimal in FreeCAD, right? ;) ;) )

In addition there are File>Project information

These are not as good as notes on the actual sketches or even around the model. But, it is available now.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:49 am I fear that the sketcher gets overloaded with functions that have little to do with its main task, supplying profiles/outlines to create part features.
I don't think labeling elements would overload the sketcher solver at all.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

easyw-fc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:13 pm I don't think labeling elements would overload the sketcher solver at all.
I don't think it's about overloading the solver. It's about overloading of concepts and that not every workbench has to provide everything.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 pm I don't think it's about overloading the solver. It's about overloading of concepts and that not every workbench has to provide everything.
It is about a feature request which has no drawbacks.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

drmacro wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:42 pm Being to write notes anywhere would be nice.
drmacro wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:42 pm One thing I find often in those journals is the why and wherefore of some workaround I used. (We all know workarounds are minimal in FreeCAD, right? )
Does this mean that you not only want to label sketcher elements but also like to have a journal function in all workbenches to be able to quickly document any workflow and workaround you use? :shock:
To keep model size low I would rather have a separate document and save it in the same folder as the model and drawing data (to always have it at hand).
easyw-fc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:13 pm It is about a feature request which has no drawbacks.
Are you sure? Modelsize has always been a drawback in the past. At least, in this case it is only a tiny one.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:40 pm ...Does this mean that you not only want to label sketcher elements but also like to have a journal function in all workbenches to be able to quickly document any workflow and workaround you use? :shock:
To keep model size low I would rather have a separate document and save it in the same folder as the model and drawing data (to always have it at hand).
The text document is part of the FC file. The FC file is a zip file. It is for the document/project not per workbench.

A text page is going to have very little impact on the size of the FCStd file.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Hello,

if you don't mind entering them manually, you can always click on a particular point and obtain
them from below the 'Element' sub window ... and enter them into a worksheet (CSV) as you go along.

Format is: (x, y, z).

frcaduser
Attachments
lineCoordinates.png
lineCoordinates.png (29.64 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:40 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:13 pm It is about a feature request which has no drawbacks.
Are you sure? Modelsize has always been a drawback in the past. At least, in this case it is only a tiny one.
Modelsize for text labeling elements in sketch?!? which % is a drawback for you? 0.000..1%
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:41 am
FBXL5 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:40 pm
Modelsize for text labeling elements in sketch?!? which % is a drawback for you? 0.000..1%
That is what I call tiny! drawback. 8-) It was in connection with "Being (able) to write notes anywhere would be nice."...
lrak

Post by lrak »

@FBXL5
Re "overloading"

There is a concept in software design that we call instantiation - if you don't use the object - or field in a data base - it isn't there. If you don't use it - it won't effect you. It won't increase your file size if you don't use it. You will never be exposed to bugs in the feature if you don't use it.

The only possible downside would be it exists in a menu - even this could potentially be turned on and off via a preference setting.

I've used a lot of CAD/simulation packages (14+?)- starting in 1986 - and produced a lot of designs - electronic and mechanical (It was my life) - having text blobs associated with design elements has ALWAYS been important in the workflow. It is even more important to document design features/choices if you work with other people. Part of the job of a design file is to communicate - text is pretty good for that.

There are times when software goes backwards via feature creep - especially in commercial software when the sales force wants a way to sell the next version. This is not one of those times.
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered,
than answers that cannot be questioned’
Richard Feynman.