Labelling/naming sketcher elements

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ishan_ae

Labelling/naming sketcher elements

Post by ishan_ae »

Hello,

I am using FreeCAD's Sketcher to create a 2D sketch. I want to extract the coordinates from this sketch and export them via a CSV file which, I will use for another application. The coordinates export part I have already figured out by playing around with Python APIs.

The 2D sketch is moderately complicated and I want to track the different elements(lines, splines, vertices) in it. I want to give these splines and edges specific names. This can then help me in identifying for which lines/splines the vertices have been exported.

Is this kind of naming possible in Sketcher ? I have looked into this but could not find any solution.

Thank you.

System/FreeCAD details:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +148 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.4
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Labelling/naming sketcher elements

Post by chrisb »

ishan_ae wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:55 pm I have looked into this but could not find any solution.
It's possible for dimensions: When editing a dimension there are two input fields. The upper is for the dimension, the lower is for a name.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Geometry elements have extended naming facility (just needs to be checked), is that not enough?
ishan_ae

Post by ishan_ae »

Thank you Chris, I will look into this.

Syres, I am not able to change the extended names that show in the GUI. I can only extract them. I guess they cannot be changed.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Syres wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:24 pm Geometry elements have extended naming facility (just needs to be checked), is that not enough?
Do you mean the "extended information" shown in the elements list?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:58 pm Do you mean the "extended information" shown in the elements list?
As the OP is using 0.19.x I was using the term used in that version, it's since changed sometime in the last couple of years.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Syres wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:32 pm As the OP is using 0.19.x I was using the term used in that version, it's since changed sometime in the last couple of years.
Looking at that information, I don't think that it is stored somewhere. It just shows derived information: element number, construction/extended, source of extended, and in most recent versions on which layer the element is.
ishan_ae

Post by ishan_ae »

I think I will go element by element by clicking on it since there seems to be no way to label them.
I thought that the field "Extended naming" can be accessed and changed. Unfortunately, it can only be accessed.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
lrak

Post by lrak »

There should be a way to add non element text fields to a sketch - and to put custom labels/references on elements including construction elements.

About the only thing one can do is to customize the name of the sketch.

There is a real need to create text for sketches - similar to the dimensions of lines - one should be able to label lines - and have a non element labels for sketches.
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered,
than answers that cannot be questioned’
Richard Feynman.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's the use case for that?