[Feature idea] More informative tooltips.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bleber

Re: [Feature idea] More informative tooltips.

Post by bleber »

A pin option, Useful to read and follow instructions.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

bleber wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:23 pm A pin option, Useful to read and follow instructions.
Huh????

Gene
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Some doubts:

- Tooltips in Qt could display images?
- This could be selectable?

More considerstions, such a tooltip could be maybe occupy half of the precious real estate that @paddle has tried to save with some of his efforts.

Usually many old programs have a contestual help that is fired by F1 and usually open a relevant help page (better if this is a Wiki Page that maybe could be stored on the local disk and synced from time to time with upstream sources)

Why reinvent the wheel, if following to this way maybe next move would be to link even YT videos in tooltips?

Not to be negative, but this seems against the KISS principle many people invoke and the many efforts to spare clicks on the interface and speed the workflow.

Kind Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bambuko wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:28 pm when I do stuff I have been doing for forever I don't want tool tip to get in my way
Fully agreed. We have already now a short waiting time before the tooltip shows. This could even be extended a bit and the big tooltip could then wait for another 3 or four seconds. That is even for me as a slow-clicker enough to avoid annoying tooltips.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:46 pm I realize there is a continuing push to make things easier for new users, which is generally good, but at the same time don't make a mess for existing users.
+1
Extending the tooltips would also have a bandwidth component. Instead of distributing the whole set and switching it on or off in preferences, I would like to see this as an extra package, which is silently ignored, if not installed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:45 pm How about: short waiting time->short tooltip; longer waiting time->long tooltip?
+1

Also If you press F1 would send you to the relevant part of the wiki for more in-depth explanation.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:06 pm I would like to see this as an extra package, which is silently ignored, if not installed.
I like this idea, could be part of the help module.
alexu

Post by alexu »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:06 pm
GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:46 pm I realize there is a continuing push to make things easier for new users, which is generally good, but at the same time don't make a mess for existing users.
+1
Extending the tooltips would also have a bandwidth component. Instead of distributing the whole set and switching it on or off in preferences, I would like to see this as an extra package, which is silently ignored, if not installed.
This seems to me like another way of presenting the "What's This" information.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

alexu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:03 pm This seems to me like another way of presenting the "What's This" information.
Yes of course. This topic is currently less about contents and more about their presentation.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1

I need to dig up some of my older posts on this subject.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs