Notification Area issues

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Notification Area issues

Post by openBrain »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 am A side discussion with @openBrain showed that there is a misunderstanding: Of course we use only stable releases in production. It is fine with me to output all warnings in development/weekly builds. But for the next stable release not.
I think the safe way is:
* Keep warnings display for now
* Pursue our goal to make them useful to users (no unneeded warnings, meaningful descriptions, ...)
* Start discussion about release default behavior when we'll be in feature freeze

This said, my opinion about this is that there is no good answer and that it would be a good setting to be placed in the "First startup wizard". :)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

@abdullah , @chrisb , to give you an example, see this post:
viewtopic.php?p=671390#p671390

This is a typical case where a warning steals you time as hell. I spent now one hour (sic!) and still do not even understand what the message means. And I am a relatively experienced average user. ;)

And the analysis runs fine, the results are correct. This is what I mean, you can do you job since not every warning is relevant.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This is a typical case where a warning steals you time as hell.
It's a typical case where a warning shows that something is not correct.
I spent now one hour (sic!) and still do not even understand what the message means.
It took me less than a minute to find and fix it.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:36 pm It took me less than a minute to find and fix it.
We discuss here about what _every_ user will see by default.

If I cannot resolve it by myself, how should a non-developer do?

And, more important: Can the user fulfill his task to perform the simulation? Hes he can so there is no need to bother every poor employee with such a warning.

Edit: the file was sent to me, I did not create it. This is also a typical use case: you get a file and has to do something with it (mesh it to print, modify, make a technical drawing)
mfro

Post by mfro »

I'd rather say that is an example of sloppy coding (which would probably never have been found if the warning wasn't there).

It's even nicely documented in the sources: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... inks.h#L63
Cheers,
Markus
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

mfro wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:50 pm It's even nicely documented in the sources: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... inks.h#L63
So an employee who got a file to something with it, should look at the source code?
I am a bit shocked that this is your understanding of a productive tool in a toolchain.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I am a bit shocked that this is your understanding of a productive tool in a toolchain.
I am a bit shocked that you over and over tell the same story and completely ignore the opinions of everybody else.

Fact is that a warning may indicate a deeper problem and the notification area makes it more prominent. This increases the chance to fix it. Your preference is to completely suppress and ignore warnings but in the long run this will be harmful because things will never be fixed.
mfro

Post by mfro »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:52 pm So an employee who got a file to something with it, should look at the source code?
No. Certainly not.
The question you asked should have been asked much earlier (ideally before release) and fixed.

Banana coding (ripens at the customer) :lol:
Cheers,
Markus
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:04 pm Fact is that a warning may indicate a deeper problem and the notification area makes it more prominent. This increases the chance to fix it. Your preference is to completely suppress and ignore warnings but in the long run this will be harmful because things will never be fixed.
What? I never said this!
I found the warning without the notification area feature - as interested user, I have the report panel open and see the warning.

What are you accusing me? I report most warnings and try to fix them.
Sorry, but here you miss what the discussion is about.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

It seems you don't get my point that an average user != developer.

I as developer of course look at warnings. And the discussion here is not about outputting warnings. It is whether to bother every user by default with every warning as popup or to let interested and expert users decide on their own to see warnings or not.

Nothing else is the question here and we decided this for 0.20 already.