Path comments tool

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
darrylb123

Path comments tool

Post by darrylb123 »

The path comments tool worked as expected in 0.19.
It no longer inserts comments on the output gcode in .20+
The standard comments are there, just not the user defined ones.

I am using linuxcnc and grbl post processors, neither work.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Path comments tool

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the forum rules and attach a file showing the issue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
darrylb123

Post by darrylb123 »

Oops

Code: Select all

OS: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition) (GNOME/gnome)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.Unknown
Build type: Unknown
Python 3.11.1, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Attached is a simple square with a path to route it out. A comment using the comment tool is added after the operation. The comment does not appear in the gcode output.
The comments in the gcode was working for 0.19 but has not worked for any of the 0.20 series.
Attachments
square.FCStd
(21.39 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

darrylb123 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:36 pm The comments in the gcode was working for 0.19 but has not worked for any of the 0.20 series.
I tried your file and the comment showed up in my g-code output. I added another comment and that worked as well.

I am using linuxcnc.

I would guess that your postprocessor is removing the comment.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

darrylb123 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:36 pm The comments in the gcode was working for 0.19 but has not worked for any of the 0.20 series.
Please try in 0.21. Path has seen many changes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
darrylb123

Post by darrylb123 »

Just installed the .21 Appimage.
It does work in 0.21

I am using linuxcnc postprocessor.
It does not work on the Windows version 0.20.x either.

Can it be fixed in the production (0.20.x) version?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

darrylb123 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:57 am Can it be fixed in the production (0.20.x) version?
Is there a good reason why you cannot use 0.21? It has nothing experimetal, bugs known from 0.20 are first fixed in 0.21 so it is usually more stable than 0.20. It is called "stable" because it receives no new features.

Path workbench has seen serious changes in 0.21, including a change in the data format. Although there is a migration script, I would rather recommend to start right away with the new version and avoid any compatibility hassle.

If you really need 0.20, then you can try to just replace the postprocessor.
darrylb123

Post by darrylb123 »

I tried 0.21 very early on. Path was completely broken. I'll give it another try.
Trouble is, I'm working with a few other learners at a non-profit. They would be horrified about working with a devel version.

Also, not sure if replacing the postprocessor would work. Both linuxcnc and grbl post processors did not work.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

darrylb123 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 am Trouble is, I'm working with a few other learners at a non-profit. They would be horrified about working with a devel version.
"Stable", "devel" are just names. The contribution process is rather strict, changes are checked by at least one other developer. And there are many power users around, who use this 0.21 version, without issues. GeneFC is one of them who also uses Path.
I don't mean to follow all updates, but we seem to have currently a very stable phase, which I can highly recommend.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

darrylb123 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 am I tried 0.21 very early on. Path was completely broken. I'll give it another try.
I use Path WB a lot, and I update FC quite frequently. I do not remember a time when "Path was completely broken". That does not mean it did not happen, but if so, the "broken" did not last long.

Gene