Gear workbench problem with naming faces

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cehjan

Gear workbench problem with naming faces

Post by cehjan »

Hi

If I create an Involute gear in the Gear workbench, the side faces get some names like Face91, Face92... As far as I can see, names are first given to the sides of the teeth and then to these side faces. Now when I make a 3D model of a complicated gear based on this gear and want to change it, any change in the number of teeth will change the name of those two sides and will provoke a TNP. If I reduce the number of teeth, the pages will be called e.g. Face73, Face74 and if I increase it, then for example Face121, Face122.

I know how to draw to avoid TNP, but sometimes it's not practical. Since the sides of the teeth are used for almost nothing it might not be a bad idea to always call these two sides Face1 and Face 2, then they would never change when the number of teeth changes.

I know that an algorithm for solving TNP is currently being implemented in FreeCAD. I wrote this just as a reminder that maybe some problems can be solved with simple fixes like this. This way, FreeCAD will be faster and simpler. I hope I didn't write something stupid since I'm not a developer and I don't know the way FreeCAD names pages.

Best regards
Attachments
gear 1.jpg
gear 1.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
cehjan

Re: Gear workbench problem with naming faces

Post by cehjan »

Hmmm. I noticed that the Part Design Involute gear works the same way. Apparently FreeCAD first gives names to the pages that are formed from the sketch and then to these two.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Gear workbench problem with naming faces

Post by chrisb »

cehjan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:22 pm I know how to draw to avoid TNP, but sometimes it's not practical. Since the sides of the teeth are used for almost nothing it might not be a bad idea to always call these two sides Face1 and Face 2, then they would never change when the number of teeth changes.
That would indeed be good.
I faintly remember that it used to be like that. But sadly there is a non zero probability that I'm mistaken.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.