How to create a solid that simulate a mill cutter

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dino

How to create a solid that simulate a mill cutter

Post by dino »

Dear,
I need to know the way for create a solid that simulate a mill cutter path; I have an edge that is the path of the mill cutter and a solid (or an another sketch that represent the mill) I have tried to simulate it with a sweep but the result is not what I wanna...
TestFresatura.png
TestFresatura.png (117.32 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Thanks
Attachments
TestFresatura.FCStd
(51.1 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
bleber

Re: How to create a solid that simulate a mill cutter

Post by bleber »

You can make an aproximación with path workbench and path array, and make a fusion
dino

Post by dino »

I can do in that way but use the array created take a lot of time... tens of minutes :-(
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

I suggest this, untested, strategy: Try changing the way you represent your cutter: Instead of using a sketch for its cross section orthogonal to its axis of rotation (the circle that you extruded along the axis of rotation), use a sketch in the same plane as the axis of rotation. I.e. a rectangle which you then revolve to get the cutter's body.
Now, to get the path of the cutter as solid, sweep this rectangle along a path that represents the center position of your cutter. Use a mode that ensures the rectangle's normal is aligned with the sweep path. Finally, put a revolution of this rectangle at the beginning and the end of the sweep path.
dino

Post by dino »

jonasb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:02 pm Now, to get the path of the cutter as solid, sweep this rectangle along a path that represents the center position of your cutter. Use a mode that ensures the rectangle's normal is aligned with the sweep path. Finally, put a revolution of this rectangle at the beginning and the end of the sweep path.
Good, but works only for pass through cutting...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from PartDesign Development forum. You post there if you develop special functions for PartDesign.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.