Retail Architecture in FC the brute force way

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JWorks

Retail Architecture in FC the brute force way

Post by JWorks »

Hello again fellows,

After the successful lubricant bottle designs (can be seen here) that have finally gone into production, I wanted to do an entire gas station in FC.
Lucky me, an oil company walked in with just such a requirement. Design and engineer a new fueling canopy, supporting buildings and gas station forecourt facilities. Simulate day and night views from customer point of view. Generate production drawings. Get it all prototyped.

With my 'safe options' safely tucked away, I went for modeling in FC and then porting the result to C4D for PBR renders using DAE exports.
I am STILL new to FC as there simply hasn't been enough time to learn all the fancy stuff like linking to external files, the Arch and BIM workbenches, Assemblies and Python automation that I KNOW will improve my work. I'll eventually get there.

We ended up hitting it out of the park with tons of steel and CO2 savings using 4 workbenches and the FCinfo plugin.
These were the Sketcher, Part, Part Design and Tech Draw. I even mixed up Part with PD at times. The models and drawings are hyper-precise in the sub-millimeter scale for a facility spanning 27,000 sqft. Also ran FEAs on complex steel structures internally with good results.

FILE HANDLING IS WONDERFUL!
No display lag issues, no process delays, opens in a bit over a minute, saves in 30 seconds.
Some compute times are long enough to grab a coffee but only if I edit very deep which there is mostly no need of anyway.

I'll be sharing a mixed bag of FC outputs and final outputs in C4D followed in a couple of months by pictures of the real thing.

20 Fero.png
20 Fero.png (114.83 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Mural Wall using hexagonal ACP and glass tiles in FC

06.jpg
06.jpg (591.78 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
The same wall rendered as it will look in real life.

05.jpg
05.jpg (518.24 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
The whole retail building. PBR renders in C4D

mart1st Floor mural.jpg
mart1st Floor mural.jpg (482.09 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
And the building as finalized for construction. Murals moved to 1st floor. This is from FC.

I'll share much more including who it is for once it goes public and release sensitivity is removed. Soon.

Cheers!
Freakcad_User

Re: Retail Architecture in FC the brute force way

Post by Freakcad_User »

Wow! Nice work!
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

JWorks wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:53 amI wanted to do an entire gas station in FC.
"Tell me you're insane, without telling me you're insane ..."

But to be honest, it's a next level effort in terms of design/engineering compared to 3D printing something in your bedroom and one of the best things you could do to promote Free and Open Source Software in CAD, because there is nothing better than real world proof to say that this is something that's not just a CAD program made for FOSS principle.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

JWorks wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:53 am ... I am STILL new to FC as there simply hasn't been enough time to learn all the fancy stuff like linking to external files, the Arch and BIM workbenches, Assemblies and Python automation that I KNOW will improve my work. I'll eventually get there.
Looks great ! And not using Arch/BIM WB to build this model ? :) Can post your file, put it on something like github etc. ?

Maybe you would like to cross-post at different (sub-)forum, e.g.
  1. Draft, Arch & BIM
  2. OSArch - FreeCAD/Architecture 3D models created in FreeCAD
@bitacovir may be interested.
JWorks

Post by JWorks »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 am "Tell me you're insane, without telling me you're insane ..."
:D Indeed! As insane as they come.
But on a more serious note, I totally agree with the rest of your post. It is a powerhouse of very fine tools and so far I've come out successful with everything I've tried on it and I've parked a bunch of long used tools to do that.

paullee wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:40 am Looks great ! And not using Arch/BIM WB to build this model ? Can post your file, put it on something like github etc. ?
Thanks Paullee. This is a commercially sensitive project for a very large corporate. I'll be sharing lots of stuff as soon as it is legally sensible.

In the mean time, here is the modern open ceiling fueling canopy design that goes with the building I showed. It's all hexagons at sub-millimeter precision connected with bolts and meant for actual production at fleet scale which is a tall order that no juvenile tool can handle.

20x50 Test Canopy
20x50 Test Canopy
20x50 parking shed overview.png (326.42 KiB) Viewed 1937 times

Detail
Detail
14.png (184.43 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

JWorks wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm ...
This is a commercially sensitive project for a very large corporate.
Doesnt matter. I like to see new architectures in FC.
That reminds me that FEM/CFD is for calculating,
not designing the world.
But the design comes first.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

JWorks wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm In the mean time, here is the modern open ceiling fueling canopy design that goes with the building I showed. It's all hexagons at sub-millimeter precision connected with bolts and meant for actual production at fleet scale which is a tall order that no juvenile tool can handle.
Wow! This is sensational!

Lots of people would be interested in your workflow if you can share some of your experience.
mhalil

Post by mhalil »

Congratulations.
It's obviously professional work.