[done] Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post by papyblaise »

since I learned that the extrusion of a non closed line or plolyline to a surface or face can not be achieved by a reguar command in FC
not true , with sheetMetal it is possible , this is my used method, from your first file
it's all about the comfort or skill of the user
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:10 pm ... My suggestion is attached ...
Yes. 8-)

Or, as an alternate way of expressing this same:
Within the boundaries of the ever so tiny galaxis of FreeCAD, this suggestion appears next to 42 ;)

Back to business:
The immense spread between my school-type geometry compared to an advanced (if not perfect) FC-model requires the whole matter to be reconsidered and rearranged. This may take it's own time.

Regarding tut's and higher level commands to be used:
- the tutorial you mentioned I happened to download just a few hours before your post - it greatly helps and I only can encourage others to take the time needed. Thanks FC-folks!
- MultiTransform was on the screen to find out what can be done to place the 6 12 nos. of identical cutouts

All in:
Your 'suggestion' was of far more than great help!

Regards
Uli

Again, please excuse my english...
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Hello everyone,

Briefly:
After reading quite some posts about consequences due to TNP, I was not able to find a safe way to proceed with the actual model. The model is meant to be a master only and all parameters are to be controlled and changed by a spreadsheet. Various unintended things could happen then, if parameters are edited and the model is recomputed by FC. At least to my actual understanding.

The question of Feb 16th still is remaining and was not clarified yet:
Could you hint of how to efficiently and reliably create 12 nos. of identical cutouts to the loaf pan sides? I have no idea at this time... [subject open]
Ulicad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:24 am ... I have no idea ...

The issue:
After Roy had sent a great suggestion (a few posts backwards),
Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:10 pm My suggestion is attached. ...
it was neccessary to newly decide on how to proceed.

The outcome was:
Use at least two categories instead of one only for the Mini-Tutorial(s) in mind: 1) entry level, 2) advanced. Since the first solution for the pan is meant to be at entry level, TNP gets in the way..

Regarding the issue, I have seen for instance:
https://wiki.freecad.org/Feature_editin ... ble_models not thoroughly read..
openBrain wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 pm For robustness, I would choose if possible the 4th method :lol: :
  • 4 - Create a datum plane mapped to an origin plane and align it to your shape face with expressions in its position values. :)
kisolre wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:34 pm 1. Works but is not very stable because of "topological naming" issues. ... There is no best method - you choose what fits your design. The preffered and safest ones for me are to base sketches on base planes (XY XZ, YZ) with ofsets/rotation or create DatumPlanes based on faces but break the link to the face and map sketches to that DatumPlanes.
Not sure what that exactly means...

What yould you recommmend for creating the 12 nos. of cutouts, ideally listed in steps for a beginner such as WBs / commands? [subject open]

Regards
Uli

P.S.: Could someone tell how to reference a post in a way that it can be followed / clicked to get to the original?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
zko.loafpan.model2.base-4.034.FCStd
(131.67 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Your thickness is not 1 mm :
* use thickness dimension normal to a face
* same center for corresponding arcs
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-02-24 231508.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-02-24 231508.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:17 pm Your thickness is not 1 mm :
* use thickness dimension normal to a face
* same center for corresponding arcs
Thanks a lot!

These errors possibly could have made their way up to new manufacturing...
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Ulicad wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:15 pm Could you hint of how to efficiently and reliably create 12 nos. of identical cutouts to the loaf pan sides? I have no idea at this time...
The suggestion I have made contains 12 identical cutouts.

Ulicad wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:15 pm Use at least two categories instead of one only for the Mini-Tutorial(s) in mind:
I was unaware that your goal is to write two tutorials.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

tutorials written by someone who knows nothing about it, it's still going to be a monster :roll:
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Ulicad wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:15 pm Not sure what that exactly means...
You select desired face where DatumPlane should be attached. Create DatumPlane. It is attached to desired face. Then you go to MapMode again and set Ätachment Mode" to "Deactivated". This way it is no longer attached to that face but is still in correct position for that configuration of the model.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:12 am ... I was unaware that your goal is to write two tutorials.
For comprehension only:
Considered actually are two categories of Mini-Tutorials, obeying few particular rules which are to be distinguished from rules gouverning a 'common' tutorial. For the moment, I am distinguishing between Entry- and Advanced-Level.
Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:12 am ... The suggestion I have made contains 12 identical cutouts. ...
Within these categories, the paths followed in your model no doubt would have to be labeled 'advanced'.
As a beginner, I was not yet able to follow the details of course. It just looks great - I only can repeat :!: That's why I want to avoid using these concepts for entry-level.

And that's why the TNP question still is remaining for me as a beginner.

papyblaise wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:21 am ... it's still going to be a monster :roll:
I don't think so in this case :D

kisolre wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:36 pm ...You select desired face where DatumPlane should be attached. Create DatumPlane. It is attached to desired face. ...
Still afraid of TNP - is it certain, that following this path is a stable one, even if various sizes of loaf pans are created by changing parameters in the spreadsheet? This would close the TNP-issue here!

Thanks a lot for your contributions!
Uli
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Ulicad wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:39 pm Still afraid of TNP
There are minimum 2 ways in that case, how to prevent this.

- Like @Roy_043 method in his file, an Attachment to not affected TNP elements.

- Via Expressions in the Placement, but then you have to know a little bit about the math. Not hard, but for someone who have nothing to do with that, it can be (must not) challenging.

Greetings
user1234