[done] Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ulicad

[done] Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post by Ulicad »

Edit: Pre release-1 is attached to this post.
- - -

Hello everyone,
soon after joining the forum in 2022, I moved to german language (native) to avoid additional difficulties coming in the way trying to grasp some of FC (as a noob to CAD and to FreeCAD...). For this particular topic the arguments are pointing back to english, the "source" language, which ought to be translated to other languages, not vice versa (thinking of a mini-tutorial some time in the future - this would be dual-purpose :) ).

So, I only can beg of your acceptance for errors on all levels :?
Any constructive criticism is more than welcome, the english language specifically implied :!:

Having managed only very few tasks in FC by now, I heavily depend on your help to make useful progress, which may be pointing to a promising direction, a decent recommendation or help once I am hopelessly stuck in a detail..

The goal is:
  • develop a CAD-model for a loaf pan, consisting of three parts, in a single document
  • the model is to include a spreadsheet
  • a macro is intended to be used for generation of three individual FCStd files from the original document
The path:
Since there are too many possibilities, the path to an effective, FC-conformant CAD-document is not clear at all to me as a complete noob...

It's supposed to look something like this:
form_600.png
form_600.png (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Actual state:
loafpan.model2.base-3.020.FCStd.png
loafpan.model2.base-3.020.FCStd.png (129.3 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Spreadsheet:
(2)loafpan.model2.base-3.020.FCStd.png
(2)loafpan.model2.base-3.020.FCStd.png (106.83 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

Which way to proceed from here?
My actual guess by now on that is:
"Extrude" the contour to a plane, add cutouts, extrude the plane 3D-surface to a body and add chamfers to the form corners as a last step.

Could this procedure be feasible? (Thinking of a future contribution: Would you want to present such a path?)

Where is particular atttention required?

Do I see this simply wrongly?

Very much hoping for your comments to this task! Plese just throw in your thoughts.

Uli
Attachments
zko.loafpan.model2.base-3.020.FCStd
(7.89 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by Ulicad on Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post by Shalmeneser »

Original post in German forum : viewtopic.php?t=75980
(viewtopic.php?t=71932)
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Yes, this is not yet taken care of - do I need to take care of this especially?

In the german forum there is no answer at this moment.

Uli
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

SheetMetal will be your friend for the mold with the help of PartDesign
for the side it will be necessary to make a passage Part Wb to make the cut of the slots, then to return in Partdesign to finish in the form of basefeature
Attachments
moule à pain.FCStd
(401.89 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
moule à pain.JPG
moule à pain.JPG (30.73 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Je dirais même plus 'moule à gaufres', the small tabs on either side of 2nd body should not do all the hole length to be able to insert itself from top to bottom ?
Last edited by Shalmeneser on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:24 pm ... SheetMetal will be your friend ...
This corresponds to the way which was followed before deciding to use a spreadsheet for easy creation of pans of different sizes.

If not against "good practice", I definitely prefer to create a complete 3D-surface first, to be "thickened" to a solid in the last step.

Could you hint of how to efficiently create the (edit:) 6 identical cutouts to the 3D-surface? I have no idea at this time... [subject open]
Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:16 am ... be able to insert itself from top to bootom ...
Papyblaise only wanted to show the general procedure, I think. The concept of the pan is shown in the OP itself.

Thanks for the contributions!

Uli
Last edited by Ulicad on Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

While searching and searching for the one I want, not knowing the most suitable terms :cry: I finally hit upon Draft-Trimex to extend a line (edited:) or polyline, not closed, to a surface / face - so I hoped....

Then, using Draft WB, I select a line, click on Trimex and enter some parameter.

Python throws an error saying 'Trimex' object has no attribute 'snapped'.

What can be done to make a line "snapped"?

[subject closed: A line cannot be extruded to a surface / face using Trimex]
Last edited by Ulicad on Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:24 pm ... SheetMetal will be your friend ...
Hello papyblaise,
for better comprehension here some more exhaustive explanation to the issues for choosing the WB SM or not.

I want to differentiate between purely personal and mini-tutorial use in this matter.

Regarding the current personal 'version', I stopped using sheetmetal because of difficulties to exactly relate the height of the pan to the lenght of the sheet before bending.
The height only ought to be an input value, not the side-lengths of the pan. It can be calculated though, if you know how to do this... [subject open]

This is different for the intented tutorial where I am considering towards sheetmetal as an option (to be installed separately), since it avoids extra line(s) in the model, necessary because of the fillets.

Regarding your FCStd-file I hope to find out, which way you put the 8 identical cutouts into their places..

Regards
Uli
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post by papyblaise »

There are three methods to make an object in sheet metal:
-1st empirical: take a piece of metal and flatten it, forge it until you have an object
-2nd economical: cut the sheet into pieces without scraps and take advantage of the blank
-3rd realistic: draw the object and unfold it to obtain the blank to be cut
to lengthen a line (or reduce): change the length of the line by entering a new value
to place the slits: look at the sketch that contains them, note that I only drew half of them and made a Mirror

and if you can't make a mold, eat "French Baguette" :lol:
Ulicad

Re: Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post by Ulicad »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:40 am ... There are three methods to make an object in sheet metal ...
I'll keep this for later on - meanwhile I would'nt mind some baguette, even if it is a french one ;)

Back to serious life:
If no one in this Topic here is helping to tell the steps how to extend (or extrude?) a simple 1-dimensional line to a 2-dimensional rectangular face, I need to ask in a separate Topic for this. Simply don't grasp and/or misunderstand it, using trimex... :(
Last edited by Ulicad on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---