[done] Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Developing a spreadsheet based loaf pan

Post by chrisb »

CutoutDatum is hidden from the tree:
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-f94462.png
Snip macro screenshot-f94462.png (14.96 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:53 am CutoutDatum is hidden from the tree:
Do'nt understand what is / was happening :?

To verify, I downloaded the previously uploaded file from the Forum to a separate folder.

Opening it with FC by doubleclicking, yielded the view #1 (corrupted somehow):

download-view1.png
download-view1.png (85.18 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

Selecting Start recovery yielded view #2 (successful):

download-view2.png
download-view2.png (63.94 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

Pressing finish yielded view #3:

download-view3.png
download-view3.png (53.32 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Each view is showing CutoutDatum.

Absolutely no idea how this came.

Edit:
Could someone help and report what she/he is seeing after downloading?
Last edited by Ulicad on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It seems to depend on the settings, if it is shown in the tree or not. You should right click on CutoutDatum and uncheck "Hide item".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:44 am It seems to depend on the settings, if it is shown in the tree or not. You should right click on CutoutDatum and uncheck "Hide item".
Done - the 'hide' was checked, now it is unchecked. CutoutDatum as an element was/is visible in the tree before and after.

Under no circumstances checked, I could see a hidden CutoutDatum tree-element.

Hope I could show that I never wanted to hide it - sorry for the inconvenience though!
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
Ulicad

Could this 'mixing' work?

Post by Ulicad »

Inching forward (after trials with an additional datum line as reference (green, possibly to be removed again))...

Is there a way to create a geometric 'mirror' of pan and pockets to the 'left' side?

Using Part Design:
- Selecting Pad, Cutout1and2, LinearPatternC3C4 and PolarPattern C5C6
Trying PolarPattern:
-> Error: 'Only additive and subtractive features can be transformed'

Using Part (probably there is the said 'mixing' problem):
Trying Mirroring:

-> some breakage occured

On second trial in Part, the mirroring succeded.

Part Design was activated again for further work

Could this 'mixing' of Part Design and Part be stable?

If so, the pan clearly would head towards reworking Spreadsheet and CAD-details :D

complete-draft-pan-zko.191.png
complete-draft-pan-zko.191.png (130.83 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Attachments
zko.loafpan.model2.0.base-12.191.FCStd
(637.6 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
edwilliams16
Veteran

Re: Could this 'mixing' work?

Post by edwilliams16 »

Ulicad wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:06 pm
Using Part Design:
Trying PolarPattern:
-> Error: 'Only additive and subtractive features can be transformed'
To pattern a pattern in Part Design, you have to use PartDesign MultiTransform. You can't sequence them separately.
Ulicad

Re: Could this 'mixing' work?

Post by Ulicad »

edwilliams16 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:39 pm...
To pattern a pattern in Part Design, you have to use PartDesign MultiTransform. You can't sequence them separately.
Many thanks for this hint!

For comprehensibility, put in other words:

1. the two selected patterns would be deleted

2. MultiTransform: Polar Pattern would be used to 'mirror' all elements required to the 'left' side

Could you confirm this path, did I understand correctly?

Edit:
Ooops - the required mirrors would'nt be there then :oops:
Without a recommended path I need to continue hacking around... :?

removing-those-and-replacing-them-Q.191.png
removing-those-and-replacing-them-Q.191.png (144.5 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
Ulicad

Restart from scratch (loaf-pan)

Post by Ulicad »

My honest apologies to all posters and readers! :oops:

The chosen crash-way I entered into CAD and FC as an absolute newbie unintededly has resulted in reading, learning and practice on my side which hardly could be followed or helped by others.

Starting the model from scratch now, I hope for clarificaton on this very basic issue - Attaching and placing a sketch.
This is complex for a beginner and a separate Topic probably is not the right choice.

In the attached minimised file, the panel Attachment / Base / Sketch is looking like this:
attachment-base-sketch.case1.png
attachment-base-sketch.case1.png (85.77 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
What seems not obvious at all are the values shown in Base - Placement - Angle & Axis?

The sub-panel Attachment is looking like this:
attachment.case1.png
attachment.case1.png (75.38 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
No 'strange' values can be seen here.

Regards
Attachments
attaching-and-placing-a-sketch.case1.FCStd
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Restart from scratch (loaf-pan)

Post by chrisb »

Ulicad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:35 am What seems not obvious at all are the values shown in Base - Placement - Angle & Axis?
Having a cartesian reference coordinate system, every point in space can be described by 3 coordinates, usually named x, y, z. That's the Position part of the Placement. What remains is how the object is turned at that point.

You are thinking - as I do as well - in subsequent rotations: By turning the object by a certain amount first around x-axis, then around y-axis and finally around z-axis (or any other sequence of these three. If you think about a point on a sphere, then you can turn it to any arbitrary position by such three rotations.
Alas it would be smarter, if you do only a single revolve; that's what french mathematician Rodrigues does with his Rodrigues Rotation Formula (AKA Euler-Rodrigues-Formula). An application of this technique can be seen for flight connections, where airlines prefer to fly directly on a Great Circle instead of flying some zig-zag course.
FreeCAD shows you in the DataTab the axis and the angle indicating how much you have to turn the object around this axis.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:14 am
Ulicad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:35 am What seems not obvious at all are the values shown in Base - Placement - Angle & Axis?
... You are thinking as I do as well in subsequent rotations
... it would be smarter, if you do only a single revolve ... Rodrigues Rotation Formula (AKA Euler-Rodrigues-Formula)
1) Your info was a great calming of my worries - these still do arise very easily :?

2) Ughh .. the probably vector-based system used for these values is not exactly of my actual personal interest - if only I had paid more attention to the tool-tip..

Pre-release seems to be 'next door' now!

With the help of your previous posts I managed to find a single one of umpteen paths (all others were failing) to create what is needed - thanks again, very happy :D
After clarification of the actual missing point, the pre-release shall be edited for details interesting for (bread baking) users.

The problem is the appearance of the mirrored and / or multitransormed cutouts (pockets) as well in the FCStd-file as in the STEP-file.

Looking at the body after opening, both views are not showing the left-hand cutouts. When hovering over loafPanParts, these cutouts are visible as well:
base.247.view1.png
base.247.view1.png (71.83 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
base.247.view1.png
base.247.view1.png (71.83 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

What could I do to make all of them visible regularly?

(Please forgive - I just did not manage to get the order of the images right this time...)
Attachments
base.247.loafpan.FCStd
(101.46 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
base.247.view2.png
base.247.view2.png (79.69 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---