Stable Working Environment

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nefarious

Stable Working Environment

Post by nefarious »

I just started using FreeCad, I'll just start with that. I do enjoy it, learning new ways to do things is always fun. I am also retired, so time is not an issues, except for the fact that there is never enough of it, no matter what.

I have a problem running FreeCad, sometimes it just hangs several times a day, and I am trying to figure out what is wrong.

When I am working, I save very frequently, I also exit from FreeCad and start a new instance often.

I am running FreeCad V; 0.20.2
on Ubuntu Linux 22.04.1 LTS

I never hang outside of FreeCad, not that I do much more these days.

Hang means that sometimes the machine will not respond to any keyboard or mouse, sometimes I can just use the keyboard, and sometimes It just reboots. Sometimes I get to recover my work.

What I want to try to understand is, is this configuration known to have problems?

Should I look at maybe replacing the display hardware, I know this will increase general speed as well.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Stable Working Environment

Post by Shalmeneser »

You can try the 0.21 AppImage : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds

Provide full info, like that :

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.31625 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 72df7997700062b6a02f2f208e6291f64073fb88
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.6, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Installed mods: 
  * Manipulator 1.4.9
  * fasteners
  * sheetmetal 0.2.57
  * DynamicData 2.46.0
  * fasteners.bak
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Stable Working Environment

Post by drmacro »

As Shalm suggests you might try the 0.21 appimage. I run on Ubuntu 22.04 with the appimage an have not experienced the behavior you describe.

(And, I use a custom Linux kernel on this PC...)

As is always the case, though, YMMV.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."