Fatal Error: Failed Lookup of thermophysicalProperties

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

F97_crossbone

Fatal Error: Failed Lookup of thermophysicalProperties

Post by F97_crossbone »

I am running FreeCAD version 0.20.1. I am new to FreeCAD, and have been following the tutorial by Tech Bernd on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbUaiE9SBc&t=1611s), modified for my particular use case. I have double verified that the necessary dependencies have been installed, and have no issues with generating a mesh. However, when I run the simulation I am met with a consistent error:

Code: Select all

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
(openfoam-
(openfoam-
)
)

[3] 
    failed lookup of thermophysicalProperties (objectRegistry region0)
    available objects of type fluidThermo:
0()

[3] 
[2] 
0()
[2] 
13:20:39  [2] 

[2] 
[3] 
    From 
[1] 

[0] 
const Type& Foam::objectRegistry::lookupObject(const Foam::word&, bool) const [with Type = Foam::fluidThermo]

[3] 

[1] 
    From 
[0] 
[2] 
const Type& Foam::objectRegistry::lookupObject(const Foam::word&, bool) const [with Type = Foam::fluidThermo]

in file 

[1] 
/root/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2206/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/objectRegistryTemplates.C
[0] 
[3] 
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
 at line 
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
    in file 
(openfoam-
(openfoam-
)
)

/root/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2206/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/objectRegistryTemplates.C

[1] 
 at line 
[2] 

0()

FOAM parallel run exiting
[1] 

[0] 
[3] 

0()

FOAM parallel run exiting
[0] 
[3] 

[2] 
[0] 

[1] 
[0] 

[1]     From const Type& Foam::objectRegistry::lookupObject(const Foam::word&, bool) const [with Type = Foam::fluidThermo]
[1]     in file /root/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2206/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/objectRegistryTemplates.C
    From 
 at line 
I have been unable to find any similar issues, and I have reproduced the same issue on two different systems, one Linux and one Windows. In both cases, OpenFOAM, gmesh, etc. were all installed through the preferences section in cfdof in which the dependency checker is located, and the correct paths have been added. I am assuming that this error indicates that OpenFOAM is unable to find the necessary fluid properties for the simulation, but I am unsure. I have attached the CAD file for this simulation. Any help is greatly appreciated, and please let me know if any additional information is necessary.
Ariel_Cfd.FCStd
3D flow simulation setup
(240.51 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Raedchen_im_System

Re: Fatal Error: Failed Lookup of thermophysicalProperties

Post by Raedchen_im_System »

Hello @F97_crossbone !

So far I have never used the HISA-Solver because I do not have enough experience with CFD for this solver ^^. If you want to learn CFD with the HISA-solver, you can take flight lessons on a Eurofighter even as a non-flyer. It is not only about carrying out the simulation, but also to understand the results and to check the plausibility of the solution.
Solver.jpg
Solver.jpg (26.36 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
As I mentioned above, you chose the HISA-Solver because you had an inlet speed of 550 m/s. For first tests, I would propose to lower the inlet speed, to consider the air to be inkompressible and to use a solver for inkompressible fluids.
Initialisierung.jpg
Initialisierung.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
The reason for your error comes initializing: You chose "Potential flow" for initializing, but as far as I know, "Potential flow" only works if you have a) an inlet and outlet b) if you have an inkompressible flow. In case an error occurs, I strongly recommend to you to press the button "Edit" in the "analysis control" (CfdSolver). Here you find the log-Files, the last log file shows you, how far you have come. In your case, the last log-File was the log-File from PotentialFoam.

You can easily exchange the "Potential flow" in the initializing by explicit values. For speed, you can use for example -200 m/s, for pressure, you can use the ambient pressure. You must test now, if your simulation runs with these initial values. I tried to run your simulation, but your simulation model is too big for my laptop.
F97_crossbone

Re: Fatal Error: Failed Lookup of thermophysicalProperties

Post by F97_crossbone »

Thank you so much for the help! It appears that the issue resided in my selection of potential flow. Changing this to known parameters at the inlet and outlet allowed the simulation to run. Whether its accurate or not is an entirely different matter...