Transfer configuration from Windows to MAC ?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sme

Transfer configuration from Windows to MAC ?

Post by sme »

Hello,

is it possible to transfer my configuration from Windows version to MacBook?

thanks in advance for your help.

kind regards
Stefan
onekk
Veteran

Re: Transfer configuration from Windows to MAC ?

Post by onekk »

sme wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:24 pm ...
is it possible to transfer my configuration from Windows version to MacBook?
In what sense? You are in the install compile forum so speaking about configuration could be not clear, as one of the passage to compile a source is called "configure".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sme wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:24 pm is it possible to transfer my configuration from Windows version to MacBook?
This is easily possible: You can copy from %APPDATA%\FreeCAD the config file user.cfg to <yourHomeDirectory>/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/ on the Mac. There is probably also a Mod directory in %APPDATA%\FreeCAD which contains the installed Addons. Copy it to <yourHomeDirectory>/Library/Application Support/FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I recommend inspecting the cfg file with a text editor and removing all references to windows paths as some stuff is stored in the config and can mess up things in your other system, for example the macro directory is for some reason stored in preferences, also some techdraw stuff and I can't remember what other things
sme

Post by sme »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:27 am
sme wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:24 pm is it possible to transfer my configuration from Windows version to MacBook?
This is easily possible: You can copy from %APPDATA%\FreeCAD the config file user.cfg to <yourHomeDirectory>/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/ on the Mac. There is probably also a Mod directory in %APPDATA%\FreeCAD which contains the installed Addons. Copy it to <yourHomeDirectory>/Library/Application Support/FreeCAD.
Hello,
Thanks a lot.
It worked very well.

cheers
Stefan