File takes 5 min to perform actions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
godcsu

File takes 5 min to perform actions

Post by godcsu »

I am creating a 55mm diameter coin that is 5 mm thick. I have added various text which is padded or pocketed and the file is 63mb in size.

every action to finish the pad or pocket actions takes no less than 5 minutes each and it is vary painful. below (i think) is the coin. and based on the number of pads I still need to do... if i were to do them end to end I have no less than 2 hours of work (including saves) just to finish what is on the coin. not including anything the requestor may ask to be added.

i am asking if anyone can think of why the file became so large and it nearly impossible to work on. all recommendations will be cherished.

Freecad version 0.20.1 29410

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.60h
  * Curves 0.6.5
  * lattice2 1.0.0

FACE
face_v6.png
face_v6.png (60.49 KiB) Viewed 540 times
BACK
back_v6.png
back_v6.png (43.32 KiB) Viewed 540 times
godcsu

Re: File takes 5 min to perform actions

Post by godcsu »

NOTE: I did run the python macro that cleans the zip file and then recomputes. but that did not resolve anything.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Try Part_SimpleCopy for the coin, for the graphics. Copy those in a new file to work with.
65 Mb is a huge file (without any threaded holes).
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I'm not surprised that the file takes 5 minutes to load and will take longer to make any changes
you accumulate difficulties: an involute gear, text in circles, a complex logo
godcsu

Post by godcsu »

NOTE: It takes no less than 20 minutes to load the coin at first open.
godcsu

Post by godcsu »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:27 pm Try Part_SimpleCopy for the coin, for the graphics. Copy those in a new file to work with.

Trying this now. the part finally loaded :D
godcsu

Post by godcsu »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:40 pm I'm not surprised that the file takes 5 minutes to load and will take longer to make any changes
you accumulate difficulties: an involute gear, text in circles, a complex logo
i cant disagree as someone whose first degree is in CAD design i exepct as the design becomes more complicated the size grows. my confusion based on an unfounded assumption i guess is that as items are merged into the body it would seem that it would decreas the number of individual elements and thereby decrease the number of individual parts it needs to process. but that is my ignorance talking based on that silly assumption.

I will admit that I will be glad when this project is done because i like freecad and would hate to find that all my projects become ones that i need NSA super computer to create and work on. HEHEHE
godcsu

Post by godcsu »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:27 pm Try Part_SimpleCopy for the coin, for the graphics. Copy those in a new file to work with.
As a noob to freecad i want to make sure i am tracking with you on this. I have made `simple copy` of the body and that does appear to be the uncomplicated model i was thinking should exist as thing are unioned to the body.

But i notice that none of the text that has not been padded is included in the new simple body.

Should i expect that?

I ask because if that is expected then that indicates to me that i need to proceed with getting all the parts padded and then when done I can do a simple copy which would produce a single body without all the 'noise' and it would load fast but the individual components of the shape would not be able to be modified.

still testing but this looks promising for the end product for sure. thank you for this tip
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Try creating all of the engraving for each surface in a single file, such as an SVG file.

Create the basic coin shape.

Add the engravings.

Finally, create an internal gear shape and subtract it to create the edge shape.

Without your file it is not clear how you proceeded, but if it is one small step at a time it will be very slow.

There are a lot of details to be worked out. 8-)

Gene
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

If you cannot provide a file, try to provide the construction tree : Macro_TreeToAscii