Help milling a 3d piece with chamfers

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
len

Help milling a 3d piece with chamfers

Post by len »

Hello there!

Using 0.20.2 here. What would be a good way to mill this piece? I haven't had luck getting the 3d operations to work. Please do a recommendation and I'll try it!

Attaching model. Best regards.
object.png
object.png (73.45 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Attachments
question.FCStd
(55.85 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Help milling a 3d piece with chamfers

Post by GeneFC »

len wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:59 pm What would be a good way to mill this piece?
I used 3D Surface with zero problems on your file. Looks fine.

What do you mean by "haven't had luck"? What sort of problems are you seeing?

Gene
len

Post by len »

@GeneFC , thanks for your reply.

I wasn't able to do it but I just noticed that I needed to uncheck Boundary enforcement. Something that I see is that I need to learn to mill in an efficient way. In the attached file I see that there are many travels that could be faster.

In this case, what could I do?
Attachments
question.FCStd
(74.19 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

len wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:20 am In this case, what could I do?
3D surfacing will usually be very slow if you want close replication of the shape. That is just the nature of tracing a surface with a small tool.

There are lots of parameters in addition to boundary enforcement. I recommend experimenting.

I typically use the "line" pattern, often with a pass in the x-direction (cut pattern angle 0 degrees) and a pass in the y-direction (90 degrees). Offset does not typically work the way I would like, but it may be OK for you.

Make sure the stock is large enough. It does not make any difference at all what you may place on your machine; the stock in FreeCAD can be adjusted in any way you wish to make the patterns come out right.

I assume you want to cut the entire top surface along with the sides down to the base. In that case you should select every face or no faces at all. There might be an (incorrect) error message if you select nothing, but the process will work just fine, and it usually produces exactly the correct result.

Multi-pass vs. Single-pass depends mostly on materials, machines, and tooling. Single-pass is the fastest if the hardware can deal with it.

If you have specific questions, just continue to ask. There are several forum regulars who use 3D machining techniques.

Gene
Dimitrios2

Post by Dimitrios2 »

Consider using a corner rounding end-mill.
Attachments
IMG_20230222_074018.png
IMG_20230222_074018.png (141.49 KiB) Viewed 758 times
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

Dimitrios2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:41 am Consider using a corner rounding end-mill.
Would be my preference as well if the profile matches . Also available in pointy-tip style but bearing-type is more common.**
afaik Path can't currently use that toolshape auto-magic like it paths a chamfer tool.

**edit/when all you have is a router everything looks like wood.
translation: I took a closer look at the tool
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
Dimitrios2

Post by Dimitrios2 »

Oh, I thought that was aluminium... :)

Use a regular end-mill on Path, the same diameter with your corner rounding end-mill and make a contour operation. Full depth of cut and as many steps as you like. You will have to change your 3D model to a rectangular, without the fillets and of course smaller. You can produce a usable g-code that way. Hope that makes sense...

If you can split your model in two parts and glue/screw them together afterwards, it will make your life a lot easier.