CfdOF and OpenFoam server ?

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Cobras62

CfdOF and OpenFoam server ?

Post by Cobras62 »

Hello,

Before asking my question, I would like to say that cfdof is great! A big congratulations to the people who developed this workbench. Without it, I think I would never have used OpenFoam! Thank you!

Then, sorry for my bad English, I'm French^^

I'm a beginner on openfoam and in cfd in general. I will, for my work, have to make simulations to design a piece of equipment.

We have a "supercomputer" at my workplace with the possibility of installing openfoam as a server.

So here is my question: is it possible to use freecad and cfdof to set up and generate the files, and then transfer these files to the "supercomputer" to run the simulation on the server?

It would save a lot of time, especially since I will have to run several simulations...

I have searched a bit but I have not found an answer to this question.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day.

Pierre
oliveroxtoby

Re: CfdOF and OpenFoam server ?

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Cobras62 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:37 am So here is my question: is it possible to use freecad and cfdof to set up and generate the files, and then transfer these files to the "supercomputer" to run the simulation on the server?
Yes, this is the idea. You can transfer the mesh case and case directories that are written and run them on a computer which doesn't have FreeCAD by by executing the Allmesh and Allrun scripts contained therein.

@techGuy is also working on automating this through an ssh connection - viewtopic.php?t=74877
Cobras62

Post by Cobras62 »

Hi @oliveroxtoby ,

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank you very much for your feedback! I will follow this very closely :D

The work done to modify CfdOF to do remote calculations is impressive!

With this feature, this tool will be really amazing 8-)

Thanks again.

Pierre
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Cobras62 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 am With this feature, this tool will be really amazing
I agree !

I have most of it working. And it is very, very nice to be able to do remote processing.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Cobras62 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:37 am We have a "supercomputer" at my workplace with the possibility of installing openfoam as a server.
Is your "supercomputer" a single computer or a cluster ? Does it run Linux ? Do you have admin privileges on it ?

So here is my question: is it possible to use freecad and cfdof to set up and generate the files, and then transfer these files to the "supercomputer" to run the simulation on the server?

It would save a lot of time, especially since I will have to run several simulations...

I have searched a bit but I have not found an answer to this question.
I'm in the same boat as you are, Cobras62. I decided to take matters into my own hands and extend CfdOF to make use of remote processing.

Remote processing is the running of mesh and OpenFOAM processes on a remote computer, all from a FreeCAD workstation.

I started working on it at Christmas. I've got it mostly running. I've run into an issue with making it work under proxy, so that it will work with FreeCAD macros. Once I figure that out, it should be ready for some alpha testing. Probably later this week.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Here are some pics to wet your appetite.
Remote preferences.png
Remote preferences.png (151.59 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Run remote mesh case.png
Run remote mesh case.png (132.04 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

OF Solver.png
OF Solver.png (31.79 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Cobras62

Post by Cobras62 »

Hi @techGuy !

Thanks for the pics, I had seen them on the github (https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF/issues/70) ;)

You're really doing a great job! I'll be able to test this out and give you feedback when I get a chance to try it :)
Is your "supercomputer" a single computer or a cluster ? Does it run Linux ? Do you have admin privileges on it ?
It is a cluster: https://www-calculco.univ-littoral.fr/r ... quipements

Attention, I am only discovering CfdOF and OpenFoam, and for the cluster, I am going to work on it with a colleague engineer specialized on numerical calculation and who knows very well the cluster.

I'm having a meeting with him this afternoon to talk about it, I'm going to present him CfdOF, and your work :)

Good day and see you soon.

Pierre
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

a couple suggestions, instead of separate buttons for remote or local operations on the task view consider using a checkbox or a combobox to switch between local or remote run so you don't have to have duplicate buttons (btw your screenshot has a typo, it says remote sover instead of solver), also is it worth running checkMesh on the remote computer or will this always run locally?
In the remote preference page, consider adding the ability of having remote profiles, allowing to easily switch between different remote computers, this is of course low priority.