CfdOF and OpenFoam server ?

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

techGuy

Re: CfdOF and OpenFoam server ?

Post by techGuy »

Improved the layout. I hate doing layouts ! Grid Layout drives me crazy !

Added threads and processes.

Added appending the filename to the output directory, so that output will go to /outputDir/filename/ if desired. I did this so that if one is doing A/B testing, one can save the files as design-1, design-2, etc. and the output will go into outputDir/design-1/ and outputDir/design-2/ and the results won't get over written.

I'm also going to add Copy results back to project folder in the meshing and OF sim pages, so that one has the CAD files and the result files in the same place if you want to look at them later.
New Remote Host Preferences.png
New Remote Host Preferences.png (125.05 KiB) Viewed 791 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

techGuy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:17 pm Added threads and processes.

Added appending the filename to the output directory, so that output will go to /outputDir/filename/ if desired.
Do these then override the parameters from the analysis object in the file?
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:26 pm
techGuy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:17 pm Added threads and processes.

Added appending the filename to the output directory, so that output will go to /outputDir/filename/ if desired.
Do these then override the parameters from the analysis object in the file?
I haven't decided that yet. Thoughts ?

I think it should. If we use one dir then whenever we run another case on the host, and even locally, then we overwrite the last result. If we modify change the filename then the next time we run it puts the result into a different dir and we don't overwrite anything. If we don't do it automatically then the user will forget and over write the previous result and not know what he is actually looking at. If every file puts their result in its own dir then there is no confusion.

I'm coming from a user case where 20 iterations may be done on one design. I save the file as a new version before running every iteration. Yes, that takes drive space but it also allows one to go back and repeat from a different starting point.

Thinking out loud... I wonder if git could be integrated into this workflow ?

There's two ways to do it:
1) leave the current case dir alone and run everything in the output dir and then copy it to a "results" dir or
2) change the current case dir
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yes I think it makes sense to override as these values depend on the machine where it will run more than on the analysis
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:54 pm yes I think it makes sense to override as these values depend on the machine where it will run more than on the analysis
Have to override the threads and process parameters too because the remote machine uses a different count than the local one.

Those are the only two exceptions that I can think of.

Let me know if you think of more. I'm working all alone on this stuff and it helps to discuss things with others.

Not sure if you are following the other thread, but I can now add and delete host profiles in CfdOF parameters. I'm just completing the work (hook ups) to have multiple remote hosts working.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

A CfdOF release that implements remote processing is available. Details here: viewtopic.php?t=76888