Google Summer of Code 2023 - Coding! Up to July 10th

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
senyasuper

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Deadline april 4th

Post by senyasuper »

chennes wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:37 pm
yorik wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:34 pm @senyasuper this looks very good to me! @chennes you might want to have a look?
Love it! Just a note that it's not just STEP files up there: in many cases they are FreeCAD *.FCStd files, which we of course want to support! You'll be using the PySide GUI framework (and will have to take care that you support PySide2 and PySide6, which FreeCAD makes pretty simple). And we definitely will want to support both "official" cloud storage and local storage, as well as possibly 3rd-part cloud storage (though that could be someone else's add-on project down the road).
Thanks, appreciate your feedback
senyasuper

Post by senyasuper »

chennes wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:37 pm
yorik wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:34 pm @senyasuper this looks very good to me! @chennes you might want to have a look?
Love it! Just a note that it's not just STEP files up there: in many cases they are FreeCAD *.FCStd files, which we of course want to support! You'll be using the PySide GUI framework (and will have to take care that you support PySide2 and PySide6, which FreeCAD makes pretty simple). And we definitely will want to support both "official" cloud storage and local storage, as well as possibly 3rd-part cloud storage (though that could be someone else's add-on project down the road).
Can I also ask about deliverables? For now I'm mentioning these:
- New GUI that allows to navigate in Cloud/Offline library
- Implemented data storage (Cloud/PC)
- Console and GUI tool for insertion of elements
- Optional: access to 3rd parties libraries
If there is a need to clarify one of those or reduce smth, please let me know
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

senyasuper wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:05 pm Can I also ask about deliverables? For now I'm mentioning these:
This looks good. i'd say that's perfect to start with, and of course a lot can happen on the way, so it's cool to leave ends open
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Reviewing applications until april 27th

Post by yorik »

The deadline for submittal is gone! Thanks to all of you who submitted a proposal. From a first quick look, we have several good quality proposals.

Now the FreeCAD admins and mentors have 3 weeks to review and rank the proposals, and mark which they want to mentor, up to April 27th. After that, Google will decide and give us slots.

For all students, now is time to sit back and be patient :) You could also use this time to stick around, explore FreeCAD, and get used to how the hroject works. Don't hesitate to ask questions around!

To anybody else who is not a mentor yet and would like to help reviewing the applications, we need more hands, please reach to me ASAP!
Blacklight

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Reviewing applications until april 27th

Post by Blacklight »

Oops! I did not use the format you mentioned for the application. I thought I only had to include details about my proposal, since I'd given a good description about myself in the forum, along with availability and contacts. Also, I'd given it as a draft proposal, but it does contain everything that I intend to do. I've kept it short and concise as opposed to taking up 3-4 pages, but that was by personal preference since I prefer to avoid using too many words.

What I wanted to add as a finished proposal would've been details about the specific motor I was going to start with, and also narrowing down FreeCAD specific features to implement it. That would've been after I'd brushed up my basics on moving charges and magnetism, and also studied the different motors, which I'm only getting started right now. I also thought the deadline was on April 6th, so I couldn't make a last minute edit.

For the last two weeks, I was mainly switching to Void Linux for streamlining my workflow, and I thought I'd check the forums later with a clear mind. I've also only just started learning about the internals of BLDCs and such. I wasn't sick, but I was mentally overloaded. It's a personality thing, I back out on formal conversations until I'm clear-headed, so that's why I didn't check on the forums in between.

I also played around with building FreeCAD on Void, which took me a whole day with fixing dependency hell since it isn't documented for Void. I also tried building for Qt6, which failed early on, and Qt5, which failed after sometime. I'll need to go on IRC for that one. I'd built it for Windows earlier, but I didn't feel like developing from Windows. Alright, keeping my words short/
Keep calm, and be nice to everyone!
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Waiting for Google announcement May 4th

Post by yorik »

Hi all,

We have now marked the projects we want to have and mentor, and we are now waiting for Google's decision and the number of projects they will give us. Announcement comes on May 4th!
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Community bonding period up to May 28th

Post by yorik »

Google Summer of Code 2023 projects announced

Hi all!

The chosen projects of Google Summer of Code have just been announced, and I am excited to announce that, although it is the first time FreeCAD is participating on its own to the program, we have been awarded no less than 4 slots this year!

The four projects that will happen this summer are:

UI tool for fetching online content, by Amulya Paritosh, mentored primarily by chennes

A library management add-on for managing Different online-offline
FreeCAD components is a utility application for FreeCAD which allows an
easy and structured management of components/models available online or
offline and to easily be inserted into the FreeCAD document.

Upgrade the documentation system, by Gauri Maheshwari, mentored primarily by kkremitzki

The project aims to migrate the FreeCAD documentation system to a
file-based, versioned system based on Git and Markdown so that it
supports multiple languages for users globally and allows switching
between offline and online versions. The current system is at constant
risk of losing data due to the MediaWiki software used to support it.
The project involves community interaction to research solutions and
then upgrade the entire system to new software.

Unified Measurement Facility, by hlorus, mentored primarily by wandererfan

FreeCAD currently has several ways of measuring objects, causing
confusion for users and making the learning curve steeper. The proposed
project aims to implement a generic measurement command that can be
extended by workbenches, refactor and port existing commands to use the
new system, and polish existing measuring commands for a consistent user
experience.

On-machine Inspection for FreeCAD by Tanausú Hernández Yanes, mentored primarily by sliptonic

On-machine Inspection (OMI) is a valuable tool used in CNC commercial
manufacturing to ensure proper tolerances of the manufactured piece.
This is done by attaching a probe to the tool head of the machine and
scanning the surface of the finalised product to see if there are
discrepancies between the expected result and actual measurements.
Including such a tool on FreeCAD, which already has a dedicated set of
tools for CNC milling in the Path Workbench, will not only bring it
closer to proprietary solutions but even surpass some of them that don’t
have this feature.

These are four awesome projects, and we are looking forward to see what will come out of it!

Thanks to everybody else who submitted a proposal. We marked our interest in more than these four projects, but this is what Google allocated us. Normally, new orgs get one or exceptionally two slots. We got very lucky here…

If you submitted a project and it was not allocated, but you would still want to work on it, don’t loose your enthusiasm! You will not have the nice Google hat to wear, nor the Google money :) , but we at FreeCAD would still love it to see you working on your project. Count on the community here to provide help, guidance, feedback, and mentoring if you need it. Consider yourself invited to do the same as the four awarded students below, and start working together!

What’s next

Now begins the community bonding period, that will end on May 28th. That time is for students to explore the community, get to know their mentors, explore FreeCAD, ask questions and get everything ready for when the coding time starts.

Google gives a lot of importance to this community bonding period, and encourages students, mentors and orgs to take it very seriously. Working with an open-source project requires some learning and adjustments, and now is the time to do it. Leaving it for later would harm the projects, so we ask everybody to use this time to actively prepare everything.

Students

We ask the four of you (plus any other interested in coming along) to do the following:
  • Start a new thread on this forum, for example in the Developers corner section. Name it, for example, with the title of your project. That thread will be your log, where you will post updates, ask questions and feedback, show what you are doing and where your mentors, other users and developers can give you feedback and ask questions. In an open-source project, we try to do and discuss everything in the open, publicly. This is so other people can watch, benefit and learn from the discussion, and also encourages others to give feedback and ideas. Discussions can happen elsewhere too, for example in GitHub issues, but having a centralized place where people can easily follow you is handy
  • Post your entire proposal on that forum thread. Only us GSoC admins and mentors have seen it. Let’s have the whole community see it!
  • Post the link to your new thread here in this thread, so people have a central place to come look if they want to find your project thread
  • Wait for your mentors to contact you. We have been awarded many more projects than we thought, and we are busy reorganizing and attributing additional mentors. You will have one primary mentor, and at least one additional mentor. The idea is that even if one person is momentarily not available, there is always someone to help you and answer your questions. We hope most of the discussion between you and your mentors will happen here on the forum, but other forms of communications can always be arranged with your mentors. We just ask you to try to make all discussions as open as possible, so everyone can participate and benefit
  • If your project involves modifying the FreeCAD code, Create a fork of the FreeCAD code on GitHub or any other Git hosting platform. Otherwise, create a fresh Git project on one of the above platforms. If unsure of the direction to take, wait and discuss it with your mentors
  • If your project involves modifying the FreeCAD source code, you need to be able to compile FreeCAD. Now is a great time to set this up
  • And once all the above is done, to get your feet wet and test how all the code change works, why not submit a small pull request? This will ensure that you have gone through all the steps needed to be able to contribute code to FreeCAD, and show that you are 100% ready for the project to start
  • I will act as a “super-mentor” and make sure everything runs smoothly. Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if there is any problem with any of your mentors or an issue they cannot solve
Mentors

This concerns all already designated mentors plus anyone else interested in mentoring:
  • Each project will have one primary mentor. That person is responsible for filling the evaluation forms in time, following the schedule. Filling these forms does not take long but is very important (there are sanctions if we don’t do it). Other mentors can of course help and review the form
  • Each project should have at least two mentors, preferably three. This way, there is always someone there to help, and students get more different opinions
  • Who will be the primary mentor, among a project’s mentors, can be decided or changed anytime. Please always notify me in case of change
  • I will make sure all mentors are on time and do their job, and will send reminders for all important deadlines. Make sure to talk to me if any problem arises
  • If you are interested in mentoring, please talk to me! There is no maximum number of mentors. The more the better. There is no need to be a tech wizard to be a mentor, it’s much more about helping students to work with the community, orient them to find the right piece of information they need, or who to ask. And you will never be alone there
The rest of you

GSoC projects are not between an org and students. It’s something that happens between the students and all of us, the FreeCAD community. Don’t hesitate to participate, give ideas and feedback to students, say what you think when they ask questions. We are lucky to have them work with us during these coming months, we need to make them feel comfortable, help them to produce useful work, and encourage them to stay after the GSoC time is finished!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

yorik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 pm If you are interested in mentoring, please talk to me!
Mentors and Maintainers have a lot in common. If you would like to someday enjoy the enormous benefits of being an official maintainer AND get use of the FreeCAD corporate jet, being a mentor is a good way to earn some credibility.
gauriimaheshwarii

Post by gauriimaheshwarii »

Hey everyone,
This thread is a log for updates, questions and feedback, discussions, suggestions, ideas, and changes from the community members for the project.

Project - Upgrade the documentation system
Primary mentor - @kkremitzki
Last edited by gauriimaheshwarii on Sat May 06, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hlorus

Post by hlorus »

Hey all,
Here's the forum topic for my GSoC project which is a dedicated place for ideas, feedback and progress reports:

GSoC 2023: Unified Measurement Facility

Primary mentor: @wandererfan