Google Summer of Code 2023 - Coding! Up to July 10th

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Blacklight

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Call for Ideas

Post by Blacklight »

I've submitted the motor design workflow proposal draft. While thinking of it, I figured out that since it would require defining material properties, the materials database can also be a good addition here, although we can currently do it by manually defining the properties. Also, I've listed the project size as medium, since I think I can make this project either very detailed or limit it's scope to fit in the timeframe. I'd prefer the former, but I don't know how long it will take yet.

I'm currently sick from dust allergy after dusting my room. Please review my proposals and make any suggestions.
Keep calm, and be nice to everyone!
hlorus

Post by hlorus »

Hey there, i'm David and i'd like to participate in this year's GSoC event. I've had an inital look at the code and prepared a draft proposal based on the Unified Measurement Facility task - https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/8561. As noted in the project list @kkremitzki would be the mentor. It would be great to get feedback:
GSoC 2023 Proposal.pdf
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
The key difference to the existing task is that i'd like to exclude annotations like the Draft and TechDraw commands from the project as they don't seem to fit well. Secondly this project would include reworking existing commands rather than just combining them on the UI level.

I still have some open question:
- Is it possible to expand the timeframe for this project?
- Is it alright to focus on measurements only?
- Are there already other base commands which get extended by workbenches?
- Is there already an abstract representation of geometry in FreeCAD's base that could be used for the measure command which shouldn't know about specific geometry types?
Last edited by hlorus on Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

hlorus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:54 am this project would include reworking existing commands rather than just combining them on the UI level.
may I ask what existing commands do you intend to rework? Have you explored the existing measure tools? The issue description is not really just about "combining at UI level", most or all of them are very lacking so it really is about making a new tool that can satisfy the needs for most cases and can be used as a global toolbar.
- Is there already an abstract representation of geometry in FreeCAD's base that could be used for the measure command which shouldn't know about specific geometry types?
I don't think that's desirable, a measure tool is most likely more useful if it knows about geometries.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

hlorus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:54 am exclude annotations like the Draft and TechDraw commands
Are you saying that in future, users who open Techdraw pages containing Annotations created in recent FreeCAD versions will be left with blank text everywhere? Maybe I'm the only user who add Annotations quite regularly to Tech drawings in order to point out specific requirements for the engineer(s) carrying out the work, (e.g. use of specific lubrication, plating spec, shot peening, acid dip), slightly alarming reading this. wandererfan do you have any input here purely regarding Techdraw?

Edit:remove mention ping
Last edited by Syres on Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Syres wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:59 pm Are you saying that in future, users who open Techdraw pages containing Annotations created in recent FreeCAD versions will be left with blank text everywhere? Maybe I'm the only user who add Annotations quite regularly to Tech drawings in order to point out specific requirements for the engineer(s) carrying out the work, (e.g. use of specific lubrication, plating spec, shot peening, acid dip), slightly alarming reading this. @wandererfan do you have any input here purely regarding Techdraw?
Excluded from the GSoC project = not touched
This shouldn't have any effect on techdraw
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Apologies for the noise.
hlorus

Post by hlorus »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm
hlorus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:54 am this project would include reworking existing commands rather than just combining them on the UI level.
may I ask what existing commands do you intend to rework? Have you explored the existing measure tools? The issue description is not really just about "combining at UI level", most or all of them are very lacking so it really is about making a new tool that can satisfy the needs for most cases and can be used as a global toolbar.
Sorry this was actually confusing, i've described the planned approach in the chapter "project details" in the document.

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm
hlorus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:54 am - Is there already an abstract representation of geometry in FreeCAD's base that could be used for the measure command which shouldn't know about specific geometry types?
I don't think that's desirable, a measure tool is most likely more useful if it knows about geometries.
This is more of an implementation detail. Afaik a global tool cannot and should not know anything about a geometry type that is defined in a workbench.
annoyed

Post by annoyed »

possibility to give a measurement without using dimensioning, dimensioning hides everything behind it
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Deadline april 4th

Post by yorik »

Welcome @hlorus !
I cannot see your proposal - it says "access denied"...
The time of we give on the ideas (175h / 350h) is only our idea. Feel free to propose something else if you feel it's appropriate.

To all candidates: remember the deadline is next Tuesday, April 4th! We need your proposals in well before, so we have time to review!

A couple of hints to write your proposal:

Typical proposals should be around 3 or 4 pages, and contain:
  • A description of what you intend to do. That's where you explain what your project is
  • Info about yourself: contact info, where you live, some background about yourself, where you studied/are studying, maybe some of your interests, etc. Things so we know you better.
  • A commitment that you are ready to spend the necessary time on the project, and how you plan to spend it. It does not need to be a precise week by week schedule (but it's great if you do!), but grossly how you plan to work during the GSoC time. We want to see that you thought about it and are serious about it.
  • Something about either previous involvement with open-source projects, or that you engaged with the community already, and all you can to demonstrate that you already took the necessary steps to know your subject: That you already installed the software, played with it, compiled it if that's something you'll need for your project, understood what needed to be done, etc.
Remember, who gives the final judgement is Google. Write this not for us but for Google people, who don't know FreeCAD nor you: Show them you know what you are talking about, and that you are ready to do it seriously, basically.

Guidelines: https://google.github.io/gsocguides/stu ... a-proposal

Template: https://www.drupal.org/community/contri ... l-template
hlorus

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Deadline april 4th

Post by hlorus »

yorik wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:54 am Welcome @hlorus !
I cannot see your proposal - it says "access denied"...
Sorry about that, i've updated the link.
yorik wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:54 am The time of we give on the ideas (175h / 350h) is only our idea. Feel free to propose something else if you feel it's appropriate.
I ment expanding in terms of splitting the workload of 175h over a longer period. Basically what's written on the GSoC website (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023):
"The standard timeline accounts for 12 week coding projects. Mentors and GSoC Contributors can agree to extend the coding period up to 22 weeks. "