Google Summer of Code 2023 - Coding! Up to July 10th

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
a.paritosh

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Community bonding period up to May 28th

Post by a.paritosh »

Hello Everyone,

Here is my proposal for UI tool for fetching online content.
Lets use this thread for updates, questions, feedback, discussions, suggestions.

Lets discuss my approach and refine the process and design together before I start the implementation.
I am very exited and looking forward to working with the community this summer.

Primary mentor: @chennes
Amulya Paritosh
GSoC 2023
Blacklight

Post by Blacklight »

yorik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 pm If you submitted a project and it was not allocated, but you would still want to work on it, don’t loose your enthusiasm! You will not have the nice Google hat to wear, nor the Google money :) , but we at FreeCAD would still love it to see you working on your project. Count on the community here to provide help, guidance, feedback, and mentoring if you need it. Consider yourself invited to do the same as the four awarded students below, and start working together!
Yes! And I think it's better that I did not get selected, because I'm already stressed out by handling multiple projects at once. However, being free of a deadline will allow me me to do it better, and more passionately. Also I may not want to stick to the proposal I made, because as I spent more time here, I started getting interested in others' ideas, and also saw why toponaming blocks the 1.0 release, etc. I was interested in the Google tag, but not as much as how it was a way to contribute to FreeCAD, and also made me look at several other interesting projects. Also, I didn't want money to take up my interest, as that would not let me contibute to free software too much. My plan was to contribute here, and GSoC was a good motivator, but that doesn't have to be it 😀.
yorik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 pm We ask the four of you (plus any other interested in coming along) to do the following:
I'll make a post after some time. I need to rest for sometime.
Keep calm, and be nice to everyone!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Blacklight wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:56 amYes!
Awesome!!

I agree totally there are many advantages of not working under the GSoC rules. That's basically what we all do here ;) Looking forward to see you working on something! Don't hesitate to shout for help and feedback. I think mentoring will happen "naturally" as much as you need it, but we could also find you a dedicated mentor if you wish.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

yorik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 pm Start a new thread on this forum, for example in the Developers corner section. Name it, for example, with the title of your project. That thread will be your log, where you will post updates, ask questions and feedback, show what you are doing and where your mentors, other users and developers can give you feedback and ask questions. In an open-source project, we try to do and discuss everything in the open, publicly. This is so other people can watch, benefit and learn from the discussion, and also encourages others to give feedback and ideas. Discussions can happen elsewhere too, for example in GitHub issues, but having a centralized place where people can easily follow you is handy
Only you missing to the party, @tanahy! ;)
tanahy

Post by tanahy »

yorik wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:45 am
yorik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 pm Start a new thread on this forum, for example in the Developers corner section. Name it, for example, with the title of your project. That thread will be your log, where you will post updates, ask questions and feedback, show what you are doing and where your mentors, other users and developers can give you feedback and ask questions. In an open-source project, we try to do and discuss everything in the open, publicly. This is so other people can watch, benefit and learn from the discussion, and also encourages others to give feedback and ideas. Discussions can happen elsewhere too, for example in GitHub issues, but having a centralized place where people can easily follow you is handy
Only you missing to the party, @tanahy! ;)
Will do immediately! Thanks for the heads up @yorik !
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hellp GSoC students and mentors!

We have about 10 days left for the community bonding period. We'd like to hear from you! What are you looking at now, is there anything you would like to happen, that we could organize?

What about organizing an online video meeting with all students and mentors (and anyone else interested) next week, to get to know each of us better and plan things for the next phase?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

@a.paritosh and I meet on Tuesdays at 1600UTC, so sometime around there is at least compatible with both of our timezones, if you want to schedule a full-group meetup.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

chennes wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:18 pm @a.paritosh and I meet on Tuesdays at 1600UTC, so sometime around there is at least compatible with both of our timezones, if you want to schedule a full-group meetup.
That would be perfect for me...
@gauriimaheshwarii, @kkremitzki, @tanahy, @sliptonic, @hlorus, @wandererfan (and anybody else interested), would that work for you?
hlorus

Post by hlorus »

Hey there,
Having a meeting would be great indeed, Tuesday 23th at the proposed time works for me as well.