Idea for the main window

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grd

Re: Idea for the main window

Post by grd »

obelisk79 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:04 pm @grd I do think writing an addon, at least initially, will be the best way to test the general acceptance of something like this.

I came across this yesterday after I first saw this topic and thought it might be useful for a python addon: https://github.com/haiiliin/pyqtribbon/
I don't know. You can be right and maybe I am gonna do it that way, but I think that I am better gonna fork FreeCAD and go to the main.cpp file and try to do it there.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
xtemp09

Cool

Post by xtemp09 »

I was a strong opponent of Ribbon UI when it showed up, but later I began to like it, since it gives huge increase in speed. FreeCAD will gain more users if the developers implement Ribbon.
grd

Post by grd »

@xtemp09 I mentioned it in this post viewtopic.php?p=659280#p659280 and it appeared that @HakanSeven12 likes the idea. I think that he can make it look good.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
xtemp09

Post by xtemp09 »

Yes, but this has started all wrong. I have implemented Ribbon UI many times and I can do this again within several minutes. However, there are two things to consider:
  1. Will the users be happy to see Ribbon
  2. Will the developers agree on this
So far HakanSeven12 has not accumulated the sum. If five men had been donating $9 a month each, HakanSeven12 would have already added his theme, meaning that users are not really fond of his idea.

Implementation of Ribbon UI can be easily done with:
  1. Using standard tabs, QSS and a several lines of code, monitoring change in size
  2. Using widgets for this (for example, Best-Ribbon-Tab-Toolbar)
  3. Using hand-made widgets, which is not so hard. This option is even better, because it allows easy customization suitable for FreeCAD's requirements
Let's hear from the venerable developers what they think of this whole idea. Something tells me I already know the answer.
grd

Post by grd »

xtemp09 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:24 pm Let's hear from the venerable developers what they think of this whole idea. Something tells me I already know the answer.
I know the answer too and it's the same as yours. The problem is the mindset. I have lots of ideas more that can radically change FreeCAD, but one at a time ;)
grd

Post by grd »

xtemp09 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:24 pm Yes, but this has started all wrong. I have implemented Ribbon UI many times and I can do this again within several minutes.
Well if @@HakanSeven12 doesn't want to do it, go ahead, but I would first consult with him first. The good thing is that you can create a WB and then it's separate. You don't need to have an agreement with anyone, you can do it if you want to.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

xtemp09 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:24 pm Let's hear from the venerable developers what they think of this whole idea. Something tells me I already know the answer.
This is why I suggest implementing this as a python addon. Intrinsic UI changes into the main code base are bound to be met with staunch opposition by vocal names that have been around a long time and are well established around here. If it becomes popular enough, then you'd have a good case to argue for full and proper integration into the main codebase.
xtemp09

Post by xtemp09 »

Here, I have to step aside since I'm not a qualified pythoner. =( Perhaps, I'll try to do something in C++/Qt with the local builds to use at home until a commit in the master branch will break everything.

I also noticed that no FreeCAD developer wrote in this topic. FreeCAD will not receive a lawsuit from MS if the program does not compete with MS Office.
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

onekk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:38 pm Ultimately is even a question of money, as volunteers are not payed, and probably criticizing them too much will make things go worse, as if the few developers involved in FreeCAD will stop coding, all these "sterile discussions" will stop simply because there will be nothing to speak about.
This is so true. From the coder's point of view (the ones doing the heavy lifting), criticisms and I imagine sometimes feature requests, may make their blood boil.
Everything is easy with the tongue but those doing the actual work surely differ.
Many times entitlement to ask for changes, specially from those actually not coding, may lead to a spectacular backfiring as the criticism might be understood as ungratefulness.
On my side, in the last 2 weeks I tried to get an insight on C++ without much success. :oops: So, I also have a very long list of requests and even some harsh opinions, but I shut up because I have not tenure neither right to do it. :oops:
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Lonfor wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:41 am ...
On my side, in the last 2 weeks I tried to get an insight on C++ without much success. :oops: So, I shut up meanwhile.
The problem is that coding is difficult and knowing every bit of FreeCAD is difficult too as it present two type of problems:

- API is scarcely documented for a sum of reason, one of the most relevant is that is notvstable yet. The other is that producing goog source and API documentation is complex.

- You have to deal with the UI, and the modelling part (OCCT related), but also with Sketcher and such sort of things that have for good reason peculiarities like the Solver and Input section.

- You have to ask and be humile as you can't came here as many has done trying to change the world starting from wrong assumptions. Why because FreeCAD is a community effort and discussing thing is what have made it so good. (it is the only Opensource 3d CAD usable at the moment, with a decent UI)

Said that is perfect, no but last week I have asked wmayer some things and he has modified sources to improve coherence and usability, it was mainly some UI elements that haven't a ObjectName so is a minir thing, but little steps make it better every day a little more.

Is not forbidden to discuss thing, if you want to collaborate, if not "fork and make your own version".

Imposing a point of view as sometimes happen is another thing. (general consideration not related to this thread)

Regards

Carlo D.
Last edited by onekk on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/