[solved] FreeCAD has selection filters?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: [solved] FreeCAD has selection filters?

Post by GeneFC »

Hologram wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:04 pm My 2cts is that generic workflow features, such as selection filters, would generally benefit everyone's workflow.
I use FreeCAD every day, and I make stuff from my efforts. I do not recall a single time that I had any problems with "selection".

That is not to say that an addition would be bad or that I would not use it.

It really does not matter how Blender, Revit, Fusion 360, AutoCAD, etc, etc. do things. There is no way in the world that FreeCAD could replicate everything, and what would be the point?

New forum members join regularly and launch into a huge list of all the improvements that should be made.

There is no shortage of ideas, and most of these have been raised before. What is needed is people who care enough to carry out the coding.

I have been following the forum (excessively) for years. I cannot recall a single instance of "What should I code to help out with FreeCAD development?"

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

dprojects wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:47 pm ...
I am not sure if you played with workbenches but if you start loading Draft and other libraries the start time is about 20 seconds longer at my laptop.
Less soft by default is much quicker start. Blender starts much faster than FreeCAD, I think this should be good issue to re-think this "minimum" build.
I just started 0.21 appimage with 26 workbenches (including A4 & Draft), 12 seconds, on a MS Surface Pro running Ubuntu.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:56 pm Actually, I offer a bounty for someone willing to implement those selection filters from the Assembly 4 wb in FreeCAD:
This seems to be the way to go here. If others need the selection filters so desperately, they should add to the bounty.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

see Macro_Select_Hovering Image with possibility extending (at my level) with few idea here but :
chrisb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:51 am
NewJoker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:56 pm Actually, I offer a bounty for someone willing to implement those selection filters from the Assembly 4 wb in FreeCAD:
This seems to be the way to go here. If others need the selection filters so desperately, they should add to the bounty.
this is not productive , the "bricoleur" who seeks to promote FreeCAD as my read this text ben ... i stop my research and i prefer you pay for FreeCAD

if you talk dollars to get priority you got that tread Job offers , Features for money?

my cent

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

mario52 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 am this is not productive , the "bricoleur" who seeks to promote FreeCAD as my read this text ben ... i stop my research and i prefer you pay for FreeCAD
It's just another way to support the project, like donations but targeted to the development of specific features.

mario52 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 am if you talk dollars to get priority you got that tread Job offers , Features for money?
Yeah, I posted my offer there some time ago: viewtopic.php?t=72925
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

It is not a sin to offer "money for features", from a programmers perspective.

Most important is the way you intend OpenSource.

OpenSource is not meaning "free as air", but usually "free as a beer".

In the sense that you could offer a beer but you have to pay someone to make it (if you are not brewing it youself, but even in this case you have to pay money to make the beer).

You invest some of your valuable time, maybe subtracted to family or other things, to make something, "pro bono" could be another definition.

Sadly many people came here, to find an easy substitution for "payed software", in this case asking "money for feature" will be the right way.

As FreeCAD is made as is if you want a different behaviour you could find some ways:

1) code it yourself, and as you want it for free, make the code free for everyone
2) find some programmers that have same interest and his available to code it for free and integrate in FreeCAD codebase
3) fork FreeCAD and make your own version
4) pay a programmer and use the code only for yourself.

As I made some "work" using FreeCAD I have done some work following the 4th point, and my customers are usually satisfied.

But I even made some work for the Wiki (not very much, but there is a different approach to Part Design tutorial in progress)

And I have done some articles trying to explain some obscure things (not very difficult, but sometimes not so obvious).

But even when I work "for free", maybe writing code to help users on the forum (sometimes it happen that I write something useful) I use my time and when someone satisfied by my help had send me some money (sadly not very often :lol:) I have been very pleased and grateful as being unemployed it will help to feed family.

And I suspect that seeing how thing are going, I think not be alone.

But many people came here "pretending" to have fulfilled their needs "without paying anything" even in term of efforts to explain and learn how things are working. Latest times it happens very often, so I could understand the "pay for feature" mechanics, even if this lead to some "reserved" work not shared between the majority of users.

In the meantime, Mario (hoping having guessed your name from your nickname @mario52) thanks for your hard work creating Macros and helping user of FreeCAD. As I see that even receiving thanks and appreciation for your work is not so usual these times.

Kind Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
NewJoker wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:02 am
mario52 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 am this is not productive , the "bricoleur" who seeks to promote FreeCAD as my read this text ben ... i stop my research and i prefer you pay for FreeCAD
It's just another way to support the project, but like donations but targeted to the development of specific features.
mario52 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 am if you talk dollars to get priority you got that tread Job offers , Features for money?
Yeah, I posted my offer there some time ago: viewtopic.php?t=72925
ok i'm sorry i rarely go in this section , but if my macro is interesting i can create one toolBar instead a window
onekk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 amthanks
questo sufficiente

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

drmacro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:02 pm I just started 0.21 appimage with 26 workbenches (including A4 & Draft), 12 seconds, on a MS Surface Pro running Ubuntu.
I thought this will never start ;-) it means it is possible to release "full" version, not weekly but for each stable release... the question is why they didn't do it yet? they don't know how to respect MIT, LGPL licenses? respect someones ownership, effort and time? they need to own everything? register under their own brand and sell it later?

NewJoker wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:13 pm For now, it seems that FreeCAD is moving further away from that - FPA, Ondsel...
The most funny part is The trademark is registered in Benelux only, I am not surprised, because FreeCAD is work of many people... there are almost 1000 licenses in AppImage... so this should never be registered legally under one company... and who is in the management board of FPA? investors from AutoDesk, AutoCAD, SolidWorks? no court will take it seriously... it is like you would like to register all the solutions from the internet under your own company and next sell it to someones else... ;-)

onekk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 am Sadly many people came here, to find an easy substitution for "payed software", in this case asking "money for feature" will be the right way.
But if they came from "paid software" to "free software" they are not willing to pay. This is sad, little destructive for FreeCAD.
It is rather hard to find the right business model for open-source.

onekk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 am as being unemployed it will help to feed family.
"Money for feature" is not good stable job for developer. I think best model is long-term sponsorship for developers, for example by scientific companies. This provide stable job for developer, he don't have to think if he will be able to buy food next week. Thanks to it, he can spend time coding with "clear mind".

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

dprojects wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:14 pm ...
onekk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 am Sadly many people came here, to find an easy substitution for "payed software", in this case asking "money for feature" will be the right way.
But if they came from "paid software" to "free software" they are not willing to pay. This is sad, little destructive for FreeCAD.
It is rather hard to find the right business model for open-source.
onekk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 am as being unemployed it will help to feed family.
"Money for feature" is not good stable job for developer. I think best model is long-term sponsorship for developers, for example by scientific companies. This provide stable job for developer, he don't have to think if he will be able to buy food next week. Thanks to it, he can spend time coding with "clear mind".
First point, this could have a solution, if you want professional help like adapt a Free Software to your needs, with "taylored applications" it could be done, and I have done a couple of time, the "application" is taylored on the "final user" and serve to ease the final work of the customer without the need for him to learn FreeCAD or how to "program" FreeCAD. This could became a viable way, if there are enough "user base".

Yes I know, but it was only an example (2nd point) it is a complex thing, and probably a solution is not easy, but this is probably considered a "risk of entrepreneurship" (If this is correct term in English).

During my economic studies it has a precise definition, "moral hazard". In Italian we have more "colorized" terms, and probably even in your "mother language" whatever is it. :lol:

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

onekk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:36 pm adapt a Free Software to your needs, with "taylored applications" it could be done
But I guess it is only profitable for developer if there is company behind it, and the feature is not 1 day feature, or you are not paid for hours. This should be at least contract, serious treatment at both sides, with exact respect, not based on manipulations and cheap workforce.

Usually, single user is not willing to pay for free software, I would even say it is not profitable for him, because it is more profitable for single user just buy subscription for a month for example or search the internet for solution.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking