Toolbar icons disappear

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jenkins007

Toolbar icons disappear

Post by jenkins007 »

Using:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.31739 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 37dc6e8a296073bf5c437b975d8fb236f923723f
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.6, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * ThreadProfile.backup1675008049.406922 1.81.0
  * Curves.backup1675008022.793941 0.4.4
  * 3D_Printing_Tools.backup1665457575.744944
  * CurvedShapes.backup1675000334.5132082 1.0.3
Working in Sketcher (this may exist in other WB, but I know it happens Sketcher WB) editing a sketch. The icons disappear. Attached are screen shots. I am not exactly sure how to re–create every time, but it happens when you click on Model and/or the tab spreadsheet at the bottom of the UI.

To recover, click on "Close" button under the "Tasks" combo view. Then double click on the sketch to edit it.

Note the top pic is missing the sketcher tool icons. The bottom pic is after I close the sketch and then reopen it to edit.
Attachments
tempImageHERMOu.gif
tempImageHERMOu.gif (325.4 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
tempImageA6av1y.gif
tempImageA6av1y.gif (432.83 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
onekk
Veteran

Re: Toolbar icons disappear

Post by onekk »

It is not very clear what is disappearing.

Being toolbars, related to WB ans something even to WB state.

As example in Part Design when you edit a Sketch it is expected that something is changing, as you "enter in a different WB" temporarily to edit the Sketch).

You have no need of "Sketcher editing tools" when you are adding features, so they will be hidden.

When you have "Sketcher editing tools" open or even feature editing, "Task ComboView" is waiting for "an operation to end" so toolbars could be modified to permit to achieve "this operation only". When end the operation usually with the "Close" button these tools are not necessary anymore.

Is this the behaviour you are reporting?

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
jenkins007

Post by jenkins007 »

Not the behavior. I guess I need to highlight the issue in the attachments. Both attachments are editing the sketch. Nothing more or less.

I have 2 tabs open in Freecad: the main tab and a spreadsheet tab. I will double check to see if this happens moving from tab to tab, but I haven't noticed that behavior yet.

To be clear. I am editing a sketch, I click on model to show the pad on the sketch, then go back and hide the pad. When I click on "Tasks" from the model (while editing the sketch) the tools to edit the sketch no longer appear. Please note the yellow highlight that is empty.

I click on "Close" to quit editing the sketch and am back at the Model pain. I then double click the sketch to edit it and the sketch editing tools now appear.

Please also note that the workbench pull down shows "Sketcher" in both pics.

If I am doing something wrong, please let me know. This does not happen all the time, but a significant amount.

BTW, I couldn't add the highlighted screen shots as they were HEIC (which is the same as the original ones and which is a smaller file size with better quality). I had to change it to JPEG which is a larger file size format.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.44.05 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.44.05 PM.jpg (793.95 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.44.26 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 12.44.26 PM.jpg (817.37 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Seems to be a graphic related probiem, but as don't know macOS is hard to tell.

@chrisb :D Do you have any hints? (You use macOS if I remember well).

Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
jenkins007

Post by jenkins007 »

I downloaded build 31772 and the issue still exists.

I tracked a few steps and re–created the issue and tested it multiple times. At the bottom of the Freecad window are 2 tabs, one for the editing window and the other for the spreadsheet which I use for the constraints.
  • 1. Begin editing a sketch (double click on it)
    2. Click on "Spreadsheet" tab at the bottom of the window
    3. Click on filename window at the bottom to go back to the editing sketch window (I did not lick on the tabs at the top of the tree on the left)
    4. The icons to edit the sketch are missing, the ones showing are the ones before you create a sketch although they are inactive
This did not happen in previous versions last year. I get the weekly builds and am not sure which fairly recent build introduced this. It seems to me that the WB icon list gets over written with the primary Sketcher WB shown where you are not editing a sketch. It's like Freecad forgets you are in the middle of editing a sketch.

If you notice, the screen shot without the editing icons, the ones listed are the icons before you create a sketch.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

@paddle could you check this issue?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

This seems related to this PR : viewtopic.php?t=72978
The idea of this PR was to hide useless toolbars of sketcher depending on the situation (edit mode vs not edit mode).

On your picture it seems that when you go to spreadsheet then back to your sketch, the toolbar reinitialize to the 'not edit mode'.

My problem is that I cannot reproduce this behavior. On windows I'm doing the following :

- Create a doc with a sketch.
- create a spreadsheet.
- Go back to partdesign.
- Open the sketch. Toolsbars are edit-mode.
- Click on the spreadsheet tab. Icons shown are still sketcher edit-mode, but they are all grayed out. Workbench shown is still Sketcher. Document shown is the spreadsheet.
- Click on my document tab. This go back to the sketch. Toolsbars don't change I still have edit-mode.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@jenkins007 : can you provide your file ? Your sketch is sub-optimal.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jenkins007 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:01 pm The icons disappear.
You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jenkins007

Post by jenkins007 »

I don't know what "sub–optimal" means, but attached is my file...

Thanks for looking at this. It does seem sporadic in behavior...
Attachments
Parametric Part Holder FC File.FCStd
(31.75 KiB) Downloaded 48 times