request for input: default for NaviCube font

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
onekk
Veteran

Re: request for input: default for NaviCube font

Post by onekk »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:54 pm ...

I don't know where you are trying to go with this.
Good to know this will be more easy with a setting in a visible place.

I have learned how to live with it, and having not complained anymore, once found a workaround.

But I was told that everything is ok, for me it is working.

Until it start to misbehave on Windows, now it is has become a widespread problem to solve. You could see why I have some criticism on this matter.

No problem and I don't want to go nowhere.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

aapo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:24 pm ...
No problem by my side, I don't code in C++ so I have no need to use the code. Good to know maybe in future...

I know that a font could be specified, my point is that if font os supplied you don't rely on the 'font substitution mechanism' that has proven to be unreliable across different distributions.

I have solved my problem learning how to set a custom font. Problem closed for me some time ago.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mario52 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:43 pm or one icon not translation and universal
I like it!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Using a vehicle is problematic. We have had people from that field complain about left and right being reverse in FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:12 am Using a vehicle is problematic. We have had people from that field complain about left and right being reverse in FreeCAD.
That's exactly why something recognizable is helpful. The text "Left" could be mistaken, the side of the image - provided it's a good one - not.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

We would still have Std_ViewRight and Std_ViewLeft though.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
Roy_043 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:12 am Using a vehicle is problematic. We have had people from that field complain about left and right being reverse in FreeCAD.
there is always a solution cube menu addon, please you can reverse or use conventional view of FreeCAD

NaviCube00.png
NaviCube00.png (21.53 KiB) Viewed 952 times

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I don't care for any of these visual representations other than the simple text labels. I don't see why a ttf file cannot be distributed with FreeCAD builds and read directly by the software without it being 'installed' into the OS. Seems like we're needlessly traveling down the rabbit-hole in a direction that feels more like regression rather than progression.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

When I dealt with automotive stuff I used X,Y, and Z coordinates and hardly used left and right, but rather driver's side and passenger's side. And so I never stumbled over the "error" on the navi cube.

mario52 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:41 pm
I like that loco cube. :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:53 pm hardly used left and right, but rather driver's side and passenger's side. And so I never stumbled over the "error" on the navi cube.
Ever been to Great Britain :lol: ?