request for input: default for NaviCube font

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
aapo

Re: request for input: default for NaviCube font

Post by aapo »

onekk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:07 pm Sorry for the noise, but someone has told that to install a font on windows you need administrative privileges.
This is true, but as pointed out in this thread at least four times already: There is NO need to install a font in order to use it. This is the mechanism that TechDraw already uses, and the code snippet to load the font without installing it has been posted. Works everywhere where Qt works.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

I think we all agree that using a complete word cannot be the real solution, right? Therefore we don't need to think too much about the font handling since we have promising alternatives.

We have 4 proposals as far as I can see and I am curious to hear your opinions about them:

1) 2D projection of an 3D on the cube face, as shown here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 95#p656695
2) 3D object inside a transparent cube, as shown here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 28#p656828
3) dots on the cube face (cube as dice)
4) usage of 2 letters to abbreviate the word (cube would be labeled in English as Fr, Le, Ri, Re, Bo, To)

Further proposals are of course welcome.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:10 pm I think we all agree that using a complete word cannot be the real solution, right?
Just speaking for myself here, but I disagree. I prefer to see the whole word. It links the faces of the cube to the related view commands, Std_ViewTop etc.

Option #4 would still require a font.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:24 pm Just speaking for myself here, but I disagree. I prefer to see the whole word. It links the faces of the cube to the related view commands,
Option #4 would still require a font.
But to see the whole word to have the connection to the command the word must not be translatable. But this would be inconvenient for non-English speaking people.

Option #4 needs a font, #3 too, but no matter what font will be used, it will always fit onto the available space.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

If you hover Std_ViewTop in the toolbar you will see "Oben" if your user language is German. Labeling the top face of the cube as "Oben" would therefore not be a problem. So the inconvenience you refer to does not exist IMO.

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:28 pm Option #4 needs a font,
uwestoehr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:10 pm Therefore we don't need to think too much about the font handling
:?:
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:55 pm If you hover Std_ViewTop in the toolbar you will see "Oben" if your user language is German. Labeling the top face of the cube as "Oben" would therefore not be a problem. So the inconvenience you refer to does not exist IMO.
I see 2 problems:
- there are languages without Latin letters. The NaviCube is something everybody sees. So for beginners or those who are accustomed to work e.g. only with Cyrillic, Chinese etc., seeing "BOTTOM" is not helpful. And the need to get a tooltip to see reduces the workflow in my opinion.

- the word "BOTTOM" is in many fonts too large. And it is not only about the font also how it is scaled. i noticed that using the same font on Win 10 and Win 11 gives me another size -> a nightmare to get this to fit in for all users

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:55 pm
uwestoehr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:10 pm Therefore we don't need to think too much about the font handling
:?:
Because we can keep what we actually have. No matter what OS might use what font at what resolution, two letters will always fit in.

For #3 I played meanwhile how to implement this and it turns out the Unicode glyphs: https://graphemica.com/characters/tags/dice are only in few fonts available. So this solution would therefore be without fonts - we can draw the dots on our own and these will then scale as nicely as your cube.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:47 pm I see 2 problems:
The 1st problem does not exist if the face labels of the cube are translatable.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:10 pm I think we all agree that using a complete word cannot be the real solution, right? Therefore we don't need to think too much about the font handling since we have promising alternatives.

We have 4 proposals as far as I can see and I am curious to hear your opinions about them:

1) 2D projection of an 3D on the cube face, as shown here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 95#p656695
2) 3D object inside a transparent cube, as shown here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 28#p656828
3) dots on the cube face (cube as dice)
4) usage of 2 letters to abbreviate the word (cube would be labeled in English as Fr, Le, Ri, Re, Bo, To)

Further proposals are of course welcome.
1) IMO this would not look good
2) could work but IMO text looks less cluttered and is more inline with what most other software is doing
3) is a terrible idea as there is no intuitive correlation
4) I personally would prefer whole words or at least longer abbreviation because I think I will easily get confused by these too short abbreviations, IMO only bottom really needs abbreviation.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I vote for same behavior as current with translatable text labels. Allowing font selection and size should be all that's needed after that. IMO.

I think reinventing the cube labels entirely is the wrong approach, although it has at least brought to light creative ideas along the way.