info approach to path

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
giostark

info approach to path

Post by giostark »

Hi all :-)
Noob question...I'm starting with a cnc.
If i design a full solid , the path tool remove the unneeded material and this is fine.
But if I want to just remove for example some line or just a small part on a bigger aluminum bar , which is the right approach?
- I have to draw a line and tell to path to stay on one side of the line? How?
- II have to make the solid and apply a pocket ? (but it will not go trough all the solid ,cant be created multi solid) . How to engrave the pocket for the full height?
I read the wiki but maybe the 3D printing with i deal with put my mind in a way to deposit stuff and not to remove material and make the process to understand a little uneasy.
In the example i attach:
- I created a bar
- I created a sketch with some lines (rectangles in real , with the width of 3,175 as the tool width)
- I make the pockets

The need is to cut the first line , then the second etc and obtain some block from a bar.

Thanks as always for your time

:)
Attachments
quadrotti.FCStd
(60.7 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
bar-lines.png
bar-lines.png (17.79 KiB) Viewed 792 times
onekk
Veteran

Re: info approach to path

Post by onekk »

giostark wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 am Hi all :-)
Usually if you use a line, the path is in the center of this line, but it depends, on what operation you are using.

Generally speaking, using the center of the line or the path is using an "Engraving" operation.

Using as example a "Profile" operation, it is hard to tell on which side the cut is done, or to be correct it depends, as usually a Profile, have a Inside or Outside property, so what is the inside or outside of an open profile?

I don't know for sure, but it depends on what is the strategy of a Profile operation, usually it follow the direction of the line and stay in the upper direction, but this is a design choice and depends on the underlying code.

Sorry to be so general, but Now I have no way to test with the actual Path WB code what is used as Path WB has had recently had some refactoring so my test done some time ago are not useful for the actual code.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

If I understand correctly you want to cut a bar into pieces but you don't have a band saw. My guess is based on things I did before buying a saw.

If so you can create a model with slots as you have done. Select the bottom of a slot for geometry and choose slot operation. Set the operation depth to bottom of part or slightly deeper if safe to do so. If the spacing between slots is equal an array can be applied to the slot operation. If the spacing of the slots is not equal it may be easiest to make several slot operations (or copy the existing slot operation just changing the 'Base Geometry')

**And give some thought to what will happen if a part is free to move. Sometimes it's safer to leave a thin bit at the bottom so the pieces won't fly around.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Another thing to keep in mind if you use the approach from jbraun.

The drawn slot should not be "exactly" the same size as the cutter. Due to the inherent variation in floating point arithmetic it is possible the cutter will not fit in the slot.

Make the slot a tiny bit larger, even 0.001 mm will work.

Gene
giostark

Post by giostark »

Thanks guys! I'll study your suggestions :geek:
In those days I'll try my first attempt.
The machine is not that great , unfortunately I have some banding in the middle of the X (cause the Z is a little too heavy for the structure). But working on a side of the X should be accurate enough for the task. This is my first trying , I'll build a new machine soon as possible.
I'll post some pictures of the job :)