Chest of drawers

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Marc Bassini

Chest of drawers

Post by Marc Bassini »

I am unsure of the english name. It's a miniature furniture, I think the name is « furniture of mastering ».
Attachments
fermé.png
fermé.png (212.83 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
ouvert.png
ouvert.png (221.83 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
éclaté #1.png
éclaté #1.png (229.97 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
éclaté #4.png
éclaté #4.png (289.05 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
calligarov

Re: Chest of drawers

Post by calligarov »

Very nice model!

Are you willing to share the FCstd file?
I'm curious to see how you made it :)

Have you used any external workbench?
You can find some more info about me at https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/User:Calligarov

My GitLab profile: https://gitlab.com/calligarov
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Marc Bassini wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:28 am I am unsure of the english name. It's a miniature furniture, I think the name is « furniture of mastering ».
Yes, very nice detailed work. I see even hinges and many different joints types.
It is interesting how it is done. All manually Sketch + Pad? how long it takes?
Maybe some tasks could be improved?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
bntarc

Post by bntarc »

Good Job.
What a great design !!!
Why don't you make a tutorial, and explain how to make this Chest of drawers.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Other than just the FreeCAD aspect of this, I really like the attention to the little details of this piece... the half-blind dovetails, tongue and groove, double mortises, the veneer details, the miters etc. I hope you will share photos of the final build once you're finished, it should be a very solid piece of heirloom furniture!
Marc Bassini

Post by Marc Bassini »

This furniture in mastering (not sure of the english name… meuble de maîtrise) chest of drawers was inspired by a Louis XVI style furniture in mastering owned by a high school teacher. He simplified the chest of drawers so that it could be made by his students who are cabinet making beginners. The version he was working on had three drawers. Following a meeting of teachers it was decided to replace the top drawer with a false drawer and to transform the top into a flap to access the chest created by the disappearance of the top drawer. Since the teacher in question only draws his plans by hand he was running out of time to make the updated version of the chest of drawers. So I offered him to do them in FreeCAD.

This piece of furniture will be made by adult students in retraining. They follow a one year basic training to obtain the certificate of professional aptitude in cabinet making (CAP ébénisterie). The objective is that they realize a great number of different assemblies. The dovetail drawers are probably the most complicated to make for a beginner, which is why their number has been reduced (also a time problem since the training only lasts one year).

Concerning the FreeCAD part, I used the RT fork. There is nothing special in this model except that I only work with material removal, never with addition (CAD gurus would probably cry blasphemy when exploring my model :)). For the assemblies, I only used PlaneCoincidence in the plane perpendicular to the assemblies. For the exploded view, I have 4 levels of separation with offsets that sum up and I play with the offsets of PlaneCoincidence to move the elements away from each other.

As for sharing the file, I doubt that the school would appreciate.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Marc Bassini wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:10 pm I used the RT fork.
What is that? You mean RealThunder branch? Are there any specific woodworking tools?

Marc Bassini wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:10 pm There is nothing special in this model except that I only work with material removal, never with addition
Only Part :: Cut ? This approach is much quicker than PartDesign but it is hard to mix PartDesign + LinkGroup + Part::Cut. Sometimes it not works. Also if you use many Part::Cut there are a lot of not needed objects, so if you think about generating cut-list, BOM later you need to skip all of them. Also they impact overall occupied space by the model.

However the model look very good and I like it, I also like the explode picture. The RT branch has auto-explode feature?
Maybe someday I will add such feature to Woodworking workbench but now, I am little busy with other things.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Marc Bassini

Post by Marc Bassini »

Yes, RealThunder branch.
And as far as I know it hasnt specific woordworking tools.
I start using it when FCAD was lacking features I needed.
I guess now I'm just used to download RT version.

I use PartDesgin.
I use Pad only once when creating my capable volume (not sure of english name)... then I cut/remove.
RT branch hasnt explode feature... I wish :) It's "hand made"
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Marc Bassini wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:12 pm RT branch hasnt explode feature... I wish :) It's "hand made"
Looks like all is hand made. A lot of work and time. How long it takes you to create it from scratch at FreeCAD?
Are you able to generate cut-list, BOM for this? or you need to draw everything again at TechDraw?
Is it parametric? flexible with redesign? If you make explode it means it can be changed and this is not single brick ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Marc Bassini

Post by Marc Bassini »

I don't know what cut-list is.
Are you referring to the debit sheet?
If that's what it's about, I didn't do it.
I just committed to the plans, not the technical file.

I don't know what BOM means.
Is it Bill Of Materials?
If so, again I just do the drawings

I started it on Friday early afternoon and sent the screenshots above on Sunday at 3pm for validation. And I worked late into the night on Friday and Saturday. In my defense it should be mentioned that:
1- CAD is not my job and I probably take n times longer to model a part than most FreeCAD users.
2- It's quite customizable via the spreadsheet below so managing all these variables at the constraint level has added quite a bit of work.

As for the drawings (32 pages which also took a lot of time... it's so hard to target those little dots with the mouse...) they took a few more evenings.
Attachments
vars.PNG
vars.PNG (44.81 KiB) Viewed 3234 times