[Sketcher] Non-Intrusive Notifications

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Non-Intrusive Notifications

Post by paddle »

+1 those intrusive notifications are really super annoying.
Not in report view indeed.

Your first gif looks good. Just have the message appear for 2 seconds and it can auto dismiss without any action required.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Could the messages go to the Task panel?
Could we add to the first section "Solver messages", a new field of 2 (auto scrolling) feedback lines that can display whatever. Report is over-used and these issues are very Sketcher specific.

I would also like to see when Polyline is selected the options " M key" flash somewhere to refresh my memory what keys to use.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:23 pm Could the messages go to the Task panel?
Could we add to the first section "Solver messages", a new field of 2 (auto scrolling) feedback lines that can display whatever. Report is over-used and these issues are very Sketcher specific.
In Task panel they could scroll out of sight, which would defeat their purpose.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

In Task panel they could scroll out of sight, which would defeat their purpose.
Maybe just a button in the "Solver message" panel to send the Sketcher message history to the report screen.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I personally think Abdullah's mockup in his initial post is really nice. What do you think is wrong with it?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I personally think Abdullah's mockup in his initial post is really nice. What do you think is wrong with it?
When I Sketch I would rather not have pop-ups or messages until I'm finished with the sketch. I don't fell like intermediate messages help me, but once I'm finished or if there is an error I would like to review what problems Sketcher might see.

abdullah always does good work so I'm sure it will be fine.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

freedman wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:26 pm I don't fell like intermediate messages help me, but once I'm finished or if there is an error I would like to review what problems Sketcher might see.
This isn't a good approach, if there is an error it's best to deal with it immediately
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Frankly, this is one of those items that is hard to predict.

If someone never makes mistakes there will no pop-ups and any scheme is fine.

If someone makes endless mistakes and bad selections then the pop-ups could be excessive.

Only time will tell how intrusive the "non-intrusive" notifications will be.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It can be totally counterproductive to continue constraining a sketch where the solver shows errors. I once reduced such a sketch from the forum, where I could remove all constraints but one, and the solver still showed a conflict.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I am finishing the feature.

I would like to create a Wiki documentation page for this feature. The reason is that I want to add code snippets for Python users to show how to create notifications for the notification area.

Could somebody tell me where is the right place in the Wiki for this?

I would even appreciate if somebody creates a placeholder where I can just start documenting.

Another issue, I do not think I have a wiki account (I just tried to login and failed). Who could activate one for me?