CfdOF rocks ! IMHO, it makes OpenFOAM a mainstream CFD tool.

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

techGuy

CfdOF rocks ! IMHO, it makes OpenFOAM a mainstream CFD tool.

Post by techGuy »

A shout out to the CfdOF developers and supporters for their fantastic work.

OpenFOAM is an excellent tool, but configuring everything via text files gets old, fast. Especially meshing.

I'm loving CfdOF in FreeCAD 0.20.1. Is it perfect ? No. Is it much, much better than running OpenFOAM simulations manually ? Absolutely.

CfdOF is the GUI that OpenFOAM needs to make it a mainstream CFD tool. Yes, OpenFOAM can be used with text files without a GUI but combining the object CAD, meshing and simulation into one GUI based application really streamlines the process.

I love how CfdOF generates the OpenFOAM simulation files, hides most of the complexity and groups most of the common settings into a simple GUI. And yet allows the user to manually edit the simulation files if needed. And run simulations manually too. It's the best of both worlds.

The thing I used to hate most about using OpenFOAM was generating the mesh for a simulation. Specifically mucking around defining the mesh volume, faces and mesh parameters in dictionary files. Especially for complex mesh volumes. This somewhat ugly task is greatly simplified in the CfdOF workbench. As a bonus, it supports all the mainstream meshing engines -blockMesh, snappyHexMesh and cfMesh.

I'd also like to thank the many FreeCAD YouTubers out there who have created so much excellent FreeCAD content. The Joko Engineering, Sebastiono Stipa, Evgeniy Ivanov and Tech Bernd (@bernd ?) channels have some very helpful/insightful OF/CfdOF videos.

Once again, kudos to the CfdOF team for their great work.

Moderator: feel free to move this to the CfdOF sub forum if more appropriate there.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: CfdOF rocks ! IMHO, it makes OpenFOAM a mainstream CFD tool.

Post by Kunda1 »

Mod edit: Moved to CfdOf subforum (and left behind a ghost thread in FEM subforum as well)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Thanks !
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

+1, this is a very neat tool
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

techGuy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:24 pm A shout out to the CfdOF developers and supporters for their fantastic work.
Thank you for the sentiments :-)
Raedchen_im_System

Post by Raedchen_im_System »

techGuy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:24 pmI'd also like to thank the many FreeCAD YouTubers out there who have created so much excellent FreeCAD content. [...] Tech Bernd (@bernd ?) channels have some very helpful/insightful OF/CfdOF videos.
@techGuy : Thank you very much. It was a great pleasure for me to record the series of 10 tutorials. My target was to make a series of "advanced" tutorials that show more or less the full potential of CfdOf like transient simulation, 2 phases flow, manual change of the solver, ... . I recorded my videos with the version V0.19. It seems to me, that my videos are a victim of progress, many new features have been added the CfdOf workbench like polyhedral meshing, mesh checker, LES-Solver, Reporting function, ... . Thanks to @oliveroxtoby for his great work! For me, these new features mean that I will re-record my tutorial in the next time.

I occasionally work in the field of science, in this context I had my first attempts with OpenFOAM. The reason was that many tribological phenomena are now described via CFD. My first attempts with OpenFOAM were really frustrating to me. By fortune, I came in contact with FreeCad and CfdOF, CfdOF was a revelation for me.

The big advantage of CfdOf for me is that every OpenFOAM solver can be addressed by editing. If I find enough time I will make my experiments with reactingFOAM (combustion), rotatingMesh and slidingMesh.
BobHope

Post by BobHope »

I agree, for years I have wanted to run CFD on my models and get accurate results but have been locked out of the very expensive commercial packages. This could be a real game changer in many communities.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Raedchen_im_System wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:08 pm The big advantage of CfdOf for me is that every OpenFOAM solver can be addressed by editing. If I find enough time I will make my experiments with reactingFOAM (combustion), rotatingMesh and slidingMesh.
Very cool ! I can't wait to see these. I love seeing what other people do with OF.

I agree that CfdOF makes OF so much easier to use. I've spent too much time editing and debugging OF text files. CfdOF makes it almost foolproof.