Sketcher performance - why is Python the culprit?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Sketcher performance - why is Python the culprit?

Post by adrianinsaval »

interestingly the counting system of the natives (Guarani) in my country (Paraguay) is based on only five basic numbers, looks like they counted in one hand only.
No scientific discusssion have been done about the 12 used by some anglo saxons to divide things, probably they have six fingers per hands or probably use two other appendices to count, but what appendices could be bent to retain the sequences maybe ears? Even here I have always tried to bend my ears with no luck.
five fingers and then since they were wearing shoes they counted the whole foot as just one ;) :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

onekk wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:03 am No scientific discusssion have been done about the 12 used by some anglo saxons to divide things, probably they have six fingers per hands or probably use two other appendices to count, but what appendices could be bent to retain the sequences maybe ears?
They have 5 fingers, but for 12 based systems the thumb isn't used. They use of each other fingers 3 phalanxes, which makes 3*4=12.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:48 pm ...
They have 5 fingers, but for 12 based systems the thumb isn't used. They use of each other fingers 3 phalanxes, which makes 3*4=12.
Good explanation thanks god I'm not an imperial man as my phalanxes are not too flexible to bend at each division.

But probably if educated from the birth I will have learned how to do such exotic things.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

onekk wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:58 pm Good explanation thanks god I'm not an imperial man as my phalanxes are not too flexible to bend at each division.
12-based systems are great when it comes to dividing things, unlike the 10, with the only divisors 2 and 5, it can be divided without remainders by 2, 3, 4 and 6.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:43 am ...
Out if the joke, there have been a reason why some different measuring systems have been used for so long time.

And FreeCAD has to deal with them.

Probably one of the most "big area" that should be improved in FreeCAD is the treatment of imperial units. but from a programmers perspective I don't know if there are around parser that could deal with sort of thing, at least at expression level.

Maybe some spreadsheet implementation could be investigated, but a part of LibreOffice it seems that there is around few alternatives in OpenSource.

I think that writing a parser from scratch could be difficult and error prone.

Luckily it is not s big problem for my everyday use. As the only drawback when dealing with Imperial units is to convert them prior to use them when coding things, so a variable assignment with some round brackets will suffice.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/