crowdin and authors

Discuss here everything concerning translations. This includes the wiki as well as the help system and the crowdin translations of FreeCAD itself.
david69
Veteran

crowdin and authors

Post by david69 »

doing some translations on Crowdin, sometimes the original text is obscur, using acronym, typoes and so on.
usually I put comments and one day, one wk, one month, 8 yrs, an other translator gives a clue.

how can we invite the author to give a look to his text and gives his opinions, eventually changes the original text?
@Kunda1
chrisb
Veteran

Re: crowdin and authors

Post by chrisb »

AFAIK are the original texts from the FreeCAD source files, which are hosted on Github. The formal way would be to create a Github ticket, a better way may be to change typos directly and create a pull request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

yes Github is an option and certainly the official one but I am not sure that volonteers leaving comments on Crowdin want to open a PR. I am the first one. kaktus had offered his help and we work like that.

most of the time, it's a matter to answer to simple remarks, demands to clarify a text, a context, fix typoes.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I have been trying to check in on those discussions from time to time: in many cases I can address the issue, or find someone who can, so feel free to ping me here if you have something you want me to look at.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

thank you @chennes. I, we, can count on your support and I have already experimented it.
that would be good time by time, authors give a look to Crowdin and see if they can easily, like you, fix/answer to translators' questions/remarks.

when I write a remark on Crowdin and an other translator brings a light on my remark, I receive an information mail. Is it also true for the authors?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

david69 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:43 pm when I write a remark on Crowdin and an other translator brings a light on my remark, I receive an information mail. Is it also true for the authors?
No, CrowdIn does not actively communicate back to the actual code authors (in general figuring out who exactly might be able to answer a question cannot be automated anyway). I just manually check the activity feed from time to time. Indeed it would be good for Maintainers to check into CrowdIn from time to time, but I recognize that people have many other demands on their time. I think between @Kunda1 , @yorik and myself, we can probably make a point to check in a few times a week and try to get those questions answered.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

that's the beginning of the end, you're putting your finger in the gear, haha.

it's a pity authors can not be alerted, it was my concern when I opened this thread. for sure translators help each others and you give help too. here are 4 examples in different workbenches that I have picked up by random (almost)

https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/2 ... fr#6591349 --> if we take into account the word Path, we can consider it as the trajectory but if it is the workbench, it changes the meaning in particular knowing there is a wiki page with the same wording. I have checked the German/Spanish/Polish translations and all of them have integrate Path as a simple name but I still have doubt.
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/562/en-fr#6578228
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/569/en-fr#6590000
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/569/en-fr#6589982

opening a PR for them is may be overkill.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Is this about "radiam"? This is not a spelling error, it is a combination of the words "radius" and "diameter".
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

icwym = i see what you mean.
radiam: how can we translate it in Danish or Chinese if the translator doesn't have this clue?

the Path example is a good one: chennes has found that it is well the workbench and not a common name. I don't know how he did, but for sure the author would have answered in a glitch.

this thread is just: dear authors, pls give a glance time by time to what is put on Crowdin, check if there are comments/questions and give a clue/fix or change.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

How can you search for questions related to a particular workbench on Crowdin?