Hang on spreadsheet cell copy?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Hang on spreadsheet cell copy?

Post by adrianinsaval »

Classic MS bullshit :roll: :roll: :roll:
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

I found something else interesting. As I said earlier, another computer that had upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 didn't seem to have this problem. I went back to my coworker's computer that was upgraded and looked in the Clipboard settings. Upgraded computers do not seem to have this option.

Win11Upgrade.png
Win11Upgrade.png (246.37 KiB) Viewed 378 times

I find that odd as you would think the Windows Upgrade would end up with the same options as the native Windows 11. Anyway, it solves another mystery of why this problem only happened on new machines.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

FYI I just merged @acpopescu's workaround.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

do you have a microsoft account on both or local account in one and microsoft account in the other? might be related to that, could also be different versions or editions of win11 or due to disabling clipboard history in one.
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

chennes wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:17 pm FYI I just merged @acpopescu's workaround.
Thanks. Hopefully now no one will have the problem anymore and the switch I found won't make a difference. I'll try it out next week when the next release comes out. I just added the extra information to provide why the upgrade Windows 11 vs the Native Windows 11 was acting differently. I don't like unexplainable things. :? :)

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pm do you have a microsoft account on both or local account in one and microsoft account in the other? might be related to that, could also be different versions or editions of win11 or due to disabling clipboard history in one.
I'll have to wait until I can take a look at the other computer again to see what version is running. I don't think there is any difference in the accounts except which one of us the computer is registered to. They could be different versions, but with Microsoft "forcing" everyone to update now, I would expect them both to be similar.
premudriy

Post by premudriy »

I confirm that disabling "Suggested actions" in Windows settings completely fixes the issue for me as stated in the post:
PAS_Drafter wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:10 pm @acpopescu had done a lot of troubleshooting on this issue during this last week and had narrowed it down to something in the Windows Accessibility. Because of that, I started snooping around the Accessibility settings on the Windows side.

I found a setting in the page for the System ---> Clipboard section that seems to cause the problem.

ClipboardSettings.png

If you turn "Suggested actions" off, the problem goes away. You turn it back on, the problem comes back (you don't even have to close FreeCAD between the switches). So if you are running into this problem a temporary work around would be to turn that option off until the FreeCAD development team can come up with a programming solution to take that into account.

After looking at what @acpopescu found and what this link does, I suspect that Windows is trying to copy the entire spreadsheet and send that data back to their server to get suggestions on what to do with the data. Gee Microsoft, thanks for the "help" :roll:

If anyone else is having this problem, you can see if this works on your system and let us know.