Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

Post by paddle »

Hi there,
I have seen that in RealThunder's branch there seem to be very interesting transparency settings for the tree view and for the task view.

You can see how it looks in @MisterMaker screenshot here (btw MisterMaker if you can post a screenshot without the blender view in this topic?):
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/f ... ?id=185268

I personally love how it looks compared to current combo view. My reasons :
- Tree and task boxes are shown at the same time.
- Much more view area, especially for small screens. Even though both tree and task are shown simulatenously.
- Looks better.

I can't see any downsides. Can you? What are you guys opinion on this?

I know @realthunder you must be busy with TNP. So I don't know if you have any empty spare time to make a PR on those? Alternatively I can help by cherry picking and making the PR.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

Post by drmacro »

Seeing Task and Tree separately is available in master, and has been for some time (...years?).

Granted not transparent. I find the transparent to be useful on small screens, 7"/10".
Snip macro screenshot-f3287e.png
Snip macro screenshot-f3287e.png (112.63 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
When larger screens or multiple monitors are available, it's basically eye candy since I separate them from the 3D view.
Apanels.png
Apanels.png (230.4 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
As usual, these things are a matter of taste. And having options is good.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

paddle wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:49 pm You can see how it looks in @MisterMaker screenshot here (btw MisterMaker if you can post a screenshot without the blender view in this topic?):
If this was available as a preference pack in master, i would absolutely use it. Nice work @MisterMaker :D
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

drmacro wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:23 pm Seeing Task and Tree separately is available in master, and has been for some time (...years?).

Granted not transparent. I find the transparent to be useful on small screens, 7"/10".

When larger screens or multiple monitors are available, it's basically eye candy since I separate them from the 3D view.

As usual, these things are a matter of taste. And having options is good.
Yes I know we can separate them. But without transparancy it's killing the 3D view. Unless one use a big screen or multiple screens.

I personally use a 38" monitor, so space isn't a problem for myself either. Yet this eye candy is really catchy and I'd be glad to have that out of the box.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

In realthunder's branch, there is optional transparency and auto-hiding of panels. I think having both options would be a great addition to FreeCAD master. While there is technically the Glass addon by triplus there are a few key differences worth noting.

The version in Link builds allows for click-through of transparent areas (including tree, which the glass addon does not allow). It also allows the tree to be better customized through stylesheets. Many people won't use the auto-hiding stuff, however I expect the transparent tree may be rather popular.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Why is it that so many see the "eye candy" added to the Link branch as an improvement, yet many of those things have been available to merge for many months (a year or more in some cases?) and here we are still discussing them. Are there no PR's?

(I don't have an answer to the questions, just musing... ;) )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

paddle wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:49 pm What are you guys opinion on this?
that this should be discussed in the UI/UX forum. Could a moderator move it over there please ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved to UI/UX subforum
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1 for adding RTs transparency features (Glass addon is broken and has gotten no love at all AFAIK)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I know right, but we kinda need more people to do the work.
I am also frustrated that I am not able to do more, got a lot of idea's but not a lot of time to learn how to implement them.
Although it's not stopping me from doing it, but it's gonna take some time...
Last edited by MisterMaker on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.