Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

Post by adrianinsaval »

onekk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:50 pm But someone has to code it, and probably this take time and efforts.
look at this in context... this is already coded, there's already a PR
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

onekk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:50 pm But someone has to code it, and probably this take time and efforts.

The point that many people don't guess, is that FreeCAD has his own workflow and "should not reproduce" other software workflow.

Many used software has changed their licenses to "pay per use" and many people came here to find a substitution without having to "pay nothing" in term of:
Hey, no worries, I get your point. I have spent considerable time in other FOSS fora where you will often see this pattern of requests "make software XXX like software YYY". It can be annoying indeed, which is why I tried to explain its merits; not in the sense of copying but in the sense that it could have actual benefits for the software itself (as is). And like @adrianinsaval said, it's likely a matter of whether or not to merge the feature. That's what I am chiming in to.
onekk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:50 pm This thing was annoying much people like me and many other that have learned FreeCAD maybe when there were not much documentations, by trial and error and many interesting discussion with forum members.
Sure, that's also why I am here. Coming across things that I don't know how to solve or find confusing, which I don't see listed in the documentation or in any (relatively) recent forum threads. You can't expect new users to see this pattern of frequent new user requests, that's just the way it is. You will need some input from long term users at some point. But in time, new people like me will eventually be able to help new users too. Or the discussions we have here will, which they'll find through Google. So please bear with me until then haha :)

I'm trying to find my way around, but I have already noticed that these forums are much quieter than Blender's or Krita's to name a few. So it's a bit difficult to get an answer within a couple of hours, like you would in most other software forums.

But let's not get too much off-topic, shall we?
Thanks for your replies so far, helped me to figure a few things out.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:57 pm ...
look at this in context... this is already coded, there's already a PR
Sorry, maybe I'm in a bad mood today and overreacted.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Hologram wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:04 pm ...
I agree that pointing out things, and misbehaviour is a good thing, most probably I have simply overreacted.

Frankly it is not a personal attack, even if seeing with a more distant view it could resemble. As today I have replied to other post made by you, take this considerations for all the posts I could have made.

Side note: Many times these times. I wrote a long post and then hit the delete button, probably bad mood or probably:

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

Hoping for best.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

Again, no worries, thanks for taking the time to reply. ;)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Generally I find no need for this UI sort of thing, except for specific configurations.

On a multi-monitor setup, I move all this sort of thing off the main window and onto another monitor. In this situation having things distracting from and occluding the vision field is unnecessary.

But, on a limited screen, say a single monitor or laptop, (and definitely on a small touch screen RaspberryPi) an overlay like this is very handy.

So, when will this be merged?

Doesn't appear to be in 0.21.0 Git 31688
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Read the comments on the PR. The reviewer has requested some comment updates and additional code modifications,my assumption is that once @realthunder is able to address all concerns/requests related to the PR, it shall be merged into master.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7888

It is up to him when he will have the time to take care of this. I'm sure he is quite busy with many different things, and remember he is a volunteer.

Regards,
Joe
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I got this high up my to-do-list as I have seen the theme addons needed. I also made a link3 theme so wouldn't be too hard to update my theme.
Is this already in a windows build?
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

MisterMaker wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:41 pm I got this high up my to-do-list as I have seen the theme addons needed. I also made a link3 theme so wouldn't be too hard to update my theme.
Is this already in a windows build?
Not yet, there are still some pending issues that need to be solved by Realthunder before it will be merged. Nothing serious, though, reading from the comments.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Just a reminder, the PR issue #7888 was merged, but the results of my tests before are still similar, even not worse.

2023-10-12_17-33.png
2023-10-12_17-33.png (239.6 KiB) Viewed 2030 times

Greetings
user1234