[announcement] first version of Toponaming is ready for testing

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[announcement] first version of Toponaming is ready for testing

Post by uwestoehr »

Dear developer's community,

we are happy to announce the first version of the Toponaming branch work and request you to test it.

BUT BEFORE PLEASE READ THESE NOTES:
-------------------------------
* The Toponaming branch was created after the release of FC 0.20, therefore its feature base is that of FC 0.20.0, so not 0.20.1 or master or 0.21! Please keep this in mind when you see bugs.
* This first toponaming version is labeled "V1".

* This Toponaming build is a technology demonstrator, not a FreeCAD version that can be used for real-life applications!

* In this build the Toponaming improvements are built it to the core and to the Sketcher and Part workbenches. It is purposely NOT yet implemented for the PartDesign or ANY OTHER workbench!
------------------------------

To test we prepared builds for the different OSes. You can download them here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... opo-naming
(the Windows build should also work on Win7)

Please give it a try under these aspects:
* Does the toponaming algorithm work for you? If not in what cases does it fail?
* Do you think you can use the toponaming algorithm for workbenches you created or are working on? If not, what has to/should to be done?
* Are there no side effects?:
** document loading and saving time is not much higher
** document size is not much greater
** can documents created or last saved with FC 0.20.x be opened without problems

To keep the overview, we separate between bugs and the algorithm:

A. For bugs please report every one as new post to this thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72886
This thread will be moderated to list different issues and their status.

B. Everything about the algorithm should be discussed in this thread. Here is a brief description of the algorithm: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... cal-Naming

-------------------

Rough plan for next weeks:
* wait 2 weeks or so and see what feedback comes in.
* there will be a dedicated meeting for the toponaming algorithm and its implementation on a developer level. Everybody who is interested to participate in this meeting, please send me a private message that I can incorporate you in the finding of a date.
* when we see that the toponaming build is already stable enough to be tested by average users, there will be new builds that will be announced at the main forum and the website and the blog. (Not to have it yet in the blog etc. was a purpose decision.)

Happy testing and many, many thanks to @realthunder for his outstanding work!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [announcement] first version of Toponaming is ready for testing

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:02 am many, many thanks to @realthunder for his outstanding work!
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:02 am * Do you think you can use the toponaming algorithm for workbenches you created or are working on? If not, what has to/should to be done?
How can I "use the toponaming algorithm " ? Is there documentation somewhere please ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Zolko wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:33 am How can I "use the toponaming algorithm " ? Is there documentation somewhere please ?
:oops: I forgot to link this:
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... cal-Naming
rpurohit15

Post by rpurohit15 »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:02 am many, many thanks to @realthunder for his outstanding work!
Thanks Realthunder
lamikr

Post by lamikr »

Any updates on the toponaming merging? Is there any known bugs left that needs to be fixed first on toponaming branch to continue on next phase of merge, that I assume was a plan to organize a developer meeting?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

lamikr wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:17 pm Any updates on the toponaming merging? Is there any known bugs left that needs to be fixed first on toponaming branch to continue on next phase of merge, that I assume was a plan to organize a developer meeting?
Just right now, some bugs were fixed in the toponaming branch. So there is steady progress. There is now also a dedicated toponaming forum:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=44

I plan to release FreeCAD 0.20.2 this weekend and then a further toponaming build should be provided. Then after new year, i think it is time to move on.

Meanwhile I hope I can organize a toponaming special meeting.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Thank you for the update, it is appreciated.
Bernard19

Post by Bernard19 »

Hello,
Somewhat novice but confronted with the problems of TNP I tested this topological FC version. Under part design WB, I made a simple hollow cube. Made a floor, then a cube on one side.
I went back to my sketch to modify it and I was pleasantly surprised that the following shapes were still there without any exclamation marks.
Really a very nice progression with a very big programming work. Congratulations.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-12-17 090510.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-12-17 090510.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

well this testing version doesn't implement toponaming in part design yet so it's either a coincidence or your test case is not relevant or you are testing on realthunder's build rather than the one mentioned here.