The object belongs to another body, can't link.

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adani100

The object belongs to another body, can't link.

Post by adani100 »

Hi,

I am a newbie. I have just begun constructing objects for FEM. I attempted to connect a vertex of a sketch 005 within an object to another object (Frame) sketch in order to fully constrain the sketch. However, I continue to receive the error message "The object belongs to another body and cannot be linked." Could somebody please guide on what went wrong?

Thanks,
Attachments
GlassTable.FCStd
(146.74 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: The object belongs to another body, can't link.

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Use a PartDesign ShapeBinder to reference something from inside of another body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adani100

Post by adani100 »

Thanks...
chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:12 pm Hi and welcome to the forum!

Use a PartDesign ShapeBinder to reference something from inside of another body.
Stronger_Shapes

Post by Stronger_Shapes »

Hi,
I am also new to FreeCAD and have run into the same issue. No luck using the blue color icon shape binder but when I use the green icon, I can see the link in the new file but I am unable to use it. Any advice and or perhaps a YouTube with more details? I am making the shape binder in an assembly and hoping to make a part referencing the assembly.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Stronger_Shapes wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:13 pm No luck using the blue color icon shape binder but when I use the green icon, I can see the link in the new file but I am unable to use it. Any advice and or perhaps a YouTube with more details? I am making the shape binder in an assembly and hoping to make a part referencing the assembly.
This is a different situation, where you want to link across file boundaries. You should open a new topic, add your FreeCAD infos, add the files with preferably minimal contents showing your issue.

For assemblies you may also consider to use one of the Assembly workbenches, e.g. Assembly4.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.