We need an official logo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pathfinder

Re: We need an official logo

Post by pathfinder »

onekk wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:07 am To be clear IMHO in examples submitted by @pathfinder ( apropos: Dall-E is an automatized design software?) some of them could be immediately associated to FC, some other are much loosely related, some other are "completely different" and "sound strange" to every FC user.
Dall-E is an AI (or rather what is called AI at the moment) that builds pictures from prompts. It was tongue in cheek, not meant to be taken seriously.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

pathfinder wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:47 am Dall-E is an AI (or rather what is called AI at the moment) that builds pictures from prompts. It was tongue in cheek, not meant to be taken seriously.
TY
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

pathfinder wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:47 am It was tongue in cheek, not meant to be taken seriously.
Which is the only reason I didn't immediately delete the post.
ernadrey11

Post by ernadrey11 »

I'll start by saying that I think we should contract a designer to do the work. I don't think we should have a contest because, as you said, logos are subjective.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I've taken suggestions from Pathfinder and obelisk79 and drafted the rules below. Seeking feedback.

If we do it in two phases,( selecting finalists and selecting a winner), there are two possibilities, Either the FPA members narrow the finalists or they make the final decision. I've written this assuming the FPA will pick five finalists and the crowd will select the winner. Is there a good reason to do it the other way instead?

====DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT======== Don't submit suggestions yet.

# Logo Requirements
0. The logo MUST be visually distinct from the main FreeCAD logo.
1. The logo MUST incorporate the letters "FPA" in a recognizable form.
2. It MAY include elements from the main FreeCAD Logo (Capital F and/or cog)
3. It MAY use a similar color palette to the main logo (Red / Blue)
4. It MUST reproduce well at a small scale (24 pixels tall)
5. MAY include multiple forms, for example, icon only, icon and text, icon with text below, and Icon with text right or text-only.
6. It MUST be recognizable and clear in a fully desaturated color state to allow printing in Black and white.
7. It MUST not use color combinations known to affect color-vision-impaired people.
8. Submissions will be made under the assumption that they are being released under either Creative Commons license or LGPL (whichever is more appropriate)

# Challenge Rules
1. Designers may make any number of submissions. Each submission should be in its own post-response to this thread. Do not make a submission by replying to or quoting an earlier submission. Community members MAY comment on the submissions, offer suggestions to improve, and note problems.
2. Submissions must be received by 1 December 2022. The submission window will close early if more than 50 submissions are received by 10 or more designers.
3. The FPA members will select 5 finalists.
4. The final selection will be done as a Forum poll of the five finalists.
5. In order to vote in the poll, community members must have an account that is at least 3 months old or at least 25 forum posts in their profile post count.
6. Final voting will run for a period of at least 14 days.
7. The winning submission will serve as the FPA logo for a period of at least two years. An acknowledgment credit for the design will be noted on the FPA website/repo.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I think you need to clarify what is meant by logo and icon. I would consider the words somewhat synonymous in this context, but then several conditions would be confusing. I suppose 'It' under points #2-#4 refers to the icon (without the FPA text)? The 'icon only' option under #5 goes against rule #1? Should the icon be square?
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I think for FPA, a square format is not necessary.

@sliptonic I think the terms are good. Regarding the order of events, that's subjective. I personally think it makes more sense that the community is used for the first part, and the FPA selects the winner but this matter is quite subjective. Ultimately the logo will represent the sitting members of the organization and they should have the final say.
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

sliptonic wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:23 pm 3. It MAY use a similar color palette to the main logo (Red / Blue)
[…]
6. It MUST be recognizable and clear in a fully desaturated color state to allow printing in Black and white.
[…]
3. The FPA members will select 5 finalists.
[…]
I've pointed out before that I'm not a fan of an open contest in which finished designs are submitted and why, but that's not my decision to make.

As for the contest rules:

For 3., I think having the colors or a variation of them (e.g. a more desaturated red/blue) could be made a hard requirement. Having them slightly different may be a good thing to have a clearer distinction, but some similarities would be helpful.

For 6., if you want to use the logo for b/w, I think it should be a requirement to provide a logo version which is optimized for it. Rarely, logos look good when you just desaturize them; there should be a version specifically for this use case.

As for the voting, I'm with obelisk79, and would do the public vote for the first round and FPA members for the final.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

pathfinder wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:39 pm
As for the contest rules:

For 6., if you want to use the logo for b/w, I think it should be a requirement to provide a logo version which is optimized for it. Rarely, logos look good when you just desaturize them; there should be a version specifically for this use case.
Excellent point. I'll update my draft rules
As for the voting, I'm with obelisk79, and would do the public vote for the first round and FPA members for the final.
Logistically, I just don't see how to do it. Imagine we get 50 submissions. You have to create a poll with 50 options. but the poll can't contain the images, so the person voting has to somehow understand which option goes with which submission. This is just a limitation of the forum poll software.

The second problem is that it doesn't avoid the possibility of internet shenanigans. A motivated 4chan mob could push 5 unacceptable submissions into the top five spots. To follow our rules, we would have to select one of them. That's why I think it makes sense for the FPA to select 5 acceptable options and let the crowd select the winner. Of course, that assumes we get at least five acceptable submissions.
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:50 pm Logistically, I just don't see how to do it. Imagine we get 50 submissions. You have to create a poll with 50 options. but the poll can't contain the images, so the person voting has to somehow understand which option goes with which submission. This is just a limitation of the forum poll software.

The second problem is that it doesn't avoid the possibility of internet shenanigans. A motivated 4chan mob could push 5 unacceptable submissions into the top five spots. To follow our rules, we would have to select one of them. That's why I think it makes sense for the FPA to select 5 acceptable options and let the crowd select the winner. Of course, that assumes we get at least five acceptable submissions.
Well, it's not elegant, but you could just not use polls and do it manually. Do a voting thread, make an image grid with the logos with each having a number next to it and have people just comment "3", "12" and so on. Then after the set time, go through the thread manually, check when a user was registered to prevent the 4chan problem, check for double posts (probably ignore edited posts?) and just run the numbers.

It's annoying, but even if it were, say, 100 pages, it's like a days worth of counting max? Less if you get multiple people ("You do pages 25-50, I do 1-25") and maybe even less if you have software that just pulls number, username, account age and puts them in a list.