Complex Sections

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Complex Sections

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 pm I notice that only when on +045°, -045°, +315° and -315°. Maybe there are more, but i tested not all +-360° or its unlimited fractions.
The "jumping" of the views seems to be due to the initial setting of SectionNormal and XDirection.
They are not what the current version of the program would assign. I don't get any jumping
in new ComplexSections created with the current version. In any case the next item would have
fixed it by applying the new 45 value.

The check (hook) button has been removed, and the current text of the spinbox is used
on pressing OK to complete the dialog, even if enter has not been pressed in the spinbox.

Making the spinbox handle expressions will have to wait until I figure out how to do that. I thought
it happened automatically if the correct widget was used, but apparently there is more to it.

Next I will look into Detail not being smart about rotated views.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Update the test build with your PR.

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (X-Cinnamon/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.31297 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: fixSlowCS
Hash: de965461195b94f247dbd0518d4002b001763415
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.0.1, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * QuickMeasure 2022.10.28
last commit: de96546

wandererfan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:09 pm The check (hook) button has been removed, and the current text of the spinbox is used
on pressing OK to complete the dialog, even if enter has not been pressed in the spinbox.
Works with charm! Also have the hunch, that is is somehow (much) faster now?

wandererfan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:09 pm The "jumping" of the views seems to be due to the initial setting of SectionNormal and XDirection.
With the removing of the green hook and execute it with OK, this is obsolete and solved in one.

wandererfan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:09 pm Making the spinbox handle expressions will have to wait until I figure out how to do that. I thought
it happened automatically if the correct widget was used, but apparently there is more to it.
As i said, i am nitpicking. Do not bother with that.

Greetings
user1234
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

user1234 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 pm - Set or use from the object(s) to deviate the (a) coordinate system. Reason: all cosmetic objects, dimension or other additions position depends on the coordinate system. When you change the size of the object(s), the position of the x0 and y0 change and their positions is useless (and must be made new). Besides it is not logical, that the x0 y0 is in the middle of a view, this should be always defined.
I second the demand for a view coordinate system (view CS).
At the moment we can use horizontal and vertical centerlines (x0 and y0 ?) that become quite useless if the view is rotated as they stay horizontal/vertical to the page orientation. If they were bound to a local UV coordinate system of the view they'd rotate synchronously with the view.
The origin of a local CS should be the projection of the 3D global origin.

If there were a (hidden) 3D CS object, a view could be derived from its related XY plane. And if U represents X and V represents Y it should be possible to transfer UV coordinates to XY coordinates and reverse.
A special cosmetic (poly)line could provide the points for the 3D (poly)line used for the section profile on a sketch plane attached to the XY plane of said 3D CS.
Instead of putting transformation information in view properties this information could be extracted from the properties of the related 3D CS object.
In my imagination this would work to create a new section view from any base view be it a main view or a previously derived view.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

domad wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:32 am In any case I have always used the "sections" indication system also for the auxiliary views, considering it much more effective and flexible than what is recommended by the standard, but they haven't "arrested" me for this.
I don't want to prevent you to use you style even if it is not according to known standards, but I'd like to be able to do it right according to ISO standards. :geek:
I love standards. :mrgreen:
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:11 am ....
I love standards. :mrgreen:
.... I also love the legislation ... but not unconditionally ... :mrgreen:
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hello everyone and thanks again for the tremendous work done in TechDraw WB.
Sorry I couldn't find an English equivalent, but here's a link to the snippets of standards we used in high school...a very long time ago! (1968) :
https://fdocuments.fr/document/guide-du ... df?page=33
and trait standards:
https://fdocuments.fr/document/guide-du ... df?page=13
... because I noticed that you weren't always in agreement.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 pm An other issue i noticed with the section through testing. The detail view positions (and rotation) are incorrect.
Should be better now.
Attachments
detailOfRotatedSimpleSection.png
detailOfRotatedSimpleSection.png (54.6 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
detailOfRotatedRegularView.png
detailOfRotatedRegularView.png (31.39 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
detailOfRotatedComplexSection.png
detailOfRotatedComplexSection.png (54.22 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 pm - Set or use from the object(s) to deviate the (a) coordinate system. Reason: all cosmetic objects, dimension or other additions position depends on the coordinate system. When you change the size of the object(s), the position of the x0 and y0 change and their positions is useless (and must be made new). Besides it is not logical, that the x0 y0 is in the middle of a view, this should be always defined.

- As far as i know, all operations and later its deviation are done in 3D and scaled. Since some results depends on its scale (because of OCCT modelling algorithm and/or its hlr), all should done unscaled in the background and scaled later after deviating.
I don't understand this or @FBXL5 follow up. :? I think it has something to do with how cosmetic objects are defined?

Maybe a picture? Or a description of what happens now vs what should happen?

This is how views are created now:
Attachments
ViewGeometry.png
ViewGeometry.png (78.46 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

jpg87 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:37 am ... because I noticed that you weren't always in agreement.
Thanks, this is that kind of book I have waited for. Too bad that it is not in English. I like how colours can enphasise dfferent aspects of a description. As I can recognise (based on my English, and Latin classes long ago) it tells almost the same as the german books, that I know. No wonder since FR and DE have harmonised standards for quite a while now.

I can only describe view behavours based on ISO standards, and @wandererfan needs to deal with american standars as well. The basic tasks of placement and orientation do not depend on any standard but it has to be compatible with both projection methods, first angle and second angle. When this works without mistakes we can think about customising details such as arrow legth and angle, or where to put the view name.
wandererfan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:22 pm I don't understand this or @FBXL5 follow up. I think it has something to do with how cosmetic objects are defined?
I think i have reached my limits of verbal communication in English on tis topic. :( But I'll try to improve my skills and vocabulary and the ability to create matching images. 8-)
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:23 pm Should be better now.
Mny thanks, will test it when i can.

wandererfan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:22 pm Or a description of what happens now vs what should happen?
I will make a file examle when i can.

Greetings
user1234