Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Post by yorik »

Also: The Brussels hackerspace is reserved for FreeCAD on thursday feb 2nd, so we (at least me, kkremitzky, jnxd and maybe we'll see chennes appear) will occupy the space and do some FreeCAD coding. Feel free to come if you're around!

Also(2): we should setup a communication channel (telegram, matrix) so people who'll be in brussels can find each other
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

yorik wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:28 am Also: The Brussels hackerspace is reserved for FreeCAD on thursday feb 2nd, so we (at least me, kkremitzky, jnxd and maybe we'll see chennes appear) will occupy the space and do some FreeCAD coding. Feel free to come if you're around!

Also(2): we should setup a communication channel (telegram, matrix) so people who'll be in brussels can find each other
The Eurostar I am booked on is not due to arrive before 16:08, if I had known I would have come a day earlier, I also need to check into the hotel
before the evening meet up. How easy far from Station to Hackspace?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Re presentations, I am not presenting at FOSDEM but due to create one for the Annual FreeCAD (and Free CAE) Users Conference 1st-3rd of March.

Do we have a FreeCAD theme for Apples Keynote? or a recommended standard Theme
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

keithsloan52 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:52 am The Eurostar I am booked on is not due to arrive before 16:08, if I had known I would have come a day earlier, I also need to check into the hotel
before the evening meet up. How easy far from Station to Hackspace?
Yeah sorry, I only found out about it recently, it's a last-minute arrangement. I'm afraid it'll be hard for you to get there for 18h if you want to check into your hotel before, but it's very close to Brussels South station, if your hotel is close by, that could still work...
keithsloan52 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:04 pm Do we have a FreeCAD theme for Apples Keynote? or a recommended standard Theme
I don't know... Make one! :)
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

yorik wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:28 am Also: The Brussels hackerspace is reserved for FreeCAD on thursday feb 2nd, so we (at least me, kkremitzky, jnxd and maybe we'll see chennes appear) will occupy the space and do some FreeCAD coding. Feel free to come if you're around!

Either that or we could use Mastodon. Your call as you probably know the first 5 contacts who need to be added to this right away!
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

Folks,

When we get a more dedicated channel (either on telegram of mastodon) I'd like to post up a short briefing about how to do an Unconference.

My friend who builds the hang-gliders isn't able to come, so I've got his set of slides about making something useful from laser-cut sheet steel.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

It's worth having some ideas and preparing your own slides/live freecad demos for any short talks you might want to give. Just don't work too hard on it. The point of an Unconference is to skip past the boring over-prepared presentations you get at a normal conference and go straight to the discussion and Q&A at the end where the interesting stuff happens. And because you haven't worked too hard on your presentation, you shouldn't mind if people walk out to to go somewhere else half-way through a session.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I’m on both platforms. I am still not super clear how it would work on Mastodon, but if someone will hit me with a clue stick I’m game. Telegram might be a little too ephemeral, but it is easy to set up.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

JulianTodd wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:18 pm My friend who builds the hang-gliders ...
Wait : who is this friend please ? What sort of hang-gliders does he build ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

JulianTodd wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:18 pm Folks,

When we get a more dedicated channel (either on telegram of mastodon) I'd like to post up a short briefing about how to do an Unconference.
We used Telegram last time around it worked very well. The ability to share locations was handy. I've created a group here:

https://t.me/+Zhcv0VTnUH5kODkx
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

I would like to spend some time with Chris @chennes to discuss possible improvements to the OpenSCAD workbench.
Might be of interest to @sliptonic with his new venture Ondsel i.e adding customised OpenSCAD designs via FreeCAD

I have been tinkering with implementing Part::FeaturePython for
  • SCADObject
  • SCADModule
Code is at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c68ompisp7z0 ... 6Nlya?dl=0 in directory NewOpenSCAD ( Copy of OpenSCAD Mod directory - Sorry not a branch)

There is a test file testOpenSCADObjs

For SCADObjects
If you change the source property, you have to then toggle the execute property to True to get the change reflected in the main FreeCAD View. Could not think of a better way, would like to see a Property of Action.

If there is a parser error the message property will get updated, but currently not immediately :-(, if you click on the property window it does update.

For SCADModules
You enter the definition in the definition property, change the parse property to True and it parses, sets the variables as properties that can be changed.

If modules property is set to True, when excuting it searched the active FC document for any SCADModules, ie. pulls in their source.

Potential benefits - Means OpenSCAD users could use a hybrid approach, mix FC and OpenSCAD script,
Adds for OpenSCAD users ability to export STEP, perform FEM anaylsis use Path workbench, The various Assemmbly workbenches.

If of interest further developments would be
  • Export to scad file
  • Import for OpenSCAD libraries
    OpenSCAD users make extensive use of various libraries
Further thoughs / Blue Skies etc
============================
  • External Editor
    I see that OpenSCAD now a day supports an external edit https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_ ... h_OpenSCAD

Maybe
    • rather than source code in the properties maybe invoke an external editor? Or have as an option.
    • OpenSCAD external editor to drive import of import of SCAD and CSG
  • Offer Prize for creation of an algorithm for a Hull operation on Brep objects

Maybe the FC Foundation could offer a prize for anybody who could come up with an algortim for Hull operation of Brep Objects.
    Hull is not too hard for Mesh type objects. In the case of Brep if all faces where planar polygons it could be done but as soon as you introduce curves, beziers it is a lot harder if at all possible.

Maybe offer a prize £1000 for Hull of two objects and further £1000 for many objects.

Maybe would encourage maybe a Masters, Phd project?

Would of course still need somebody in OpenCASCADE to code up.