[Feature Request]: Changing default fillet behavior

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

[Feature Request]: Changing default fillet behavior

Post by Piero69 »

I see that often the fillet feature goes immediatly into error because the default radius is too big.

To prevent this troublesome error i would change the behavior setting the default radius from 1mm to 0.2mm or 0 so the user can design always without problem.

what do you think?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request]: Changing default fillet behavior

Post by Shalmeneser »

NO, 1mm is a good default value.
but a Dichotomy button trying 1/2 of the value recursively until 10e-7 is a better idea.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Unless one is making microscopic objects a fillet of 1 mm is already quite small. In the old world of manual drafting and manual machine tools a very small fillet would have been handled by a notation "break all sharp edges".

Changing to zero might create other problems.

Gene
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

I am sure, that you can change the default radius value in the parameter editor. The question is only, what the name and which type (float or string (with unit)) is of the parameter.

I am with the others, 1mm is a good default value.

Greetings
user1234
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I think the solution to this is that instead of throwing an error the tool should just retry with a smaller radius until the value is small enough.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

paddle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:13 am I think the solution to this is that instead of throwing an error the tool should just retry with a smaller radius until the value is small enough.
This seems difficult at best. As you know very well, the error comes from OCC, and there can be various reasons the fillet fails in addition to the radius problem.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

paddle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:13 am I think the solution to this is that instead of throwing an error the tool should just retry with a smaller radius until the value is small enough.
No, this could bring serious slowdowns in complex models or on fillets that fail no matter the radius.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

But just a helper button to try 1/2 value (appearing only when there is a problem ?) ?
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

How about if it first tries 10mm, then 1mm, and then report the error? Not much slower than current behaviour, and this should catch all but the smallest fillets.

Sorry, i see that the default value is 1, not 10 as i thought. My bad. I vote for keeping 1mm as is.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:14 pm But just a helper button to try 1/2 value (appearing only when there is a problem ?) ?
what's the usefulness of this? why half? why not 0.75? why not 0.1? why not 0.01 if it's a very small object? What value to actually use is for the designer to decide.