[Feature Request]: ISO shaft/hole tolerances for dimensions

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

[Feature Request]: ISO shaft/hole tolerances for dimensions

Post by Piero69 »

@wandererfan

a great enhancement is the ability to add the ISO shaft/hole tolerances to dimensions, letter+grade and deviations in brakets (see attachment)

i think, you select a dimension and once clicking "shaft or hole" you apply the tolerance, the feature obvouly reads automatically the value and applies the correct deviations (by a inner table?)

what do you think?
Attachments
iso tolerances.jpg
iso tolerances.jpg (174.56 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
edi

Re: [Feature Request]: ISO shaft/hole tolerances for dimensions

Post by edi »

Good idea, and IMO from software engineering perspective relativ easy to realize.
The problem is the mechanical engineering perspective. Theoretical there are many hundered options (A01, A0, A1 .. A10, B01 .. B18, ..) and the same using small letters for inside surfaces.
In reality only few options are used, because you need an expensive measurement device for each prescribed tolerance.
First there must be a consense which tolerance fields FreeCAD should "know". Please make a proposal.
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

@edi

i should start with the main engineering series according to ISO 286-1, that's:

Holes: H series
Shafts: f g h series

then the feature will be expanded with people's request step by step

i wait for other's opinion/suggestion
edi

Post by edi »

Find attached the first version of a macro creating shaft/hole tolerances using ISO 286.

The macro uses some of the preferentially recommended fields, shown in tables 12 and 13 of ISO 286, https://docplayer.org/55190189-Deutsche ... 286-1.html
TaskHoleShaftFitISO286.ui
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
HoleShaftFitISO286.FCMacro
(9 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Installation: Copy the two files TaskHoleShaftFitISO286.ui and HoleShaftFitISO286.FCMacro into your macros holding directory.

Workflow:
- open a TechDraw drawing.
- select one distance dimensioning (horizontal, vertical or oblique) or one circle diameter dimensioning.
- start the macro. A panel opens in the Combo View.
- select shaft fit / hole fit to show whether your dimensioning refers to a shaft or a hole.
- select the desired ISO 286 fit field using the combo box. The partner field and the fit type (loose, snug, press) is shown.
- click the OK button.
HoleShaftFit01.png
HoleShaftFit01.png (38.01 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
The label of the selected field and the calculated tolerance values are shown in the drawing.

Please test the macro and give me feedback.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

edi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:19 pm shown in tables 12 and 13 of ISO 286
I would remove the link asap, because you have to buy the norm and not allow to share it, even when you do not publish it. The ISO is pretty strict in that case.

@chrisb, @Kunda1: if that is not done in a short time, can someone do it?

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:38 pm @chrisb, @Kunda1: if that is not done in a short time, can someone do it?
I don't think that providing such a link is a problem. edi didn't upload a private document, nor did he grant access to a site which shouldn't be publicly available.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:05 pm
I don't think that providing such a link is a problem. edi didn't upload a private document, nor did he grant access to a site which shouldn't be publicly available.
It is copyright protected. Even when you buy a copy of it for your company, you are not allowed to share it on an internal network drive for others in your company (online access with registration i ignore it here). A month ago i found a good law list with do's and don'ts about that, but can not find it now, so just please believe me.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN-Norm# ... -Entwürfen
not that precise but informative https://www.goldberg.de/en/sind-din-nor ... geschuetzt

Greetings
user1234

edit: typo
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Not that i meant before, but also include DINs

https://www.austrian-standards.at/de/re ... ungsrechte

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

According to this document giving a link is not forbidden. Edi did not publish the document. Searching via search engine for the title of the norm yields 4 hits, one of them was given by edi.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:41 pm
According to this document giving a link is not forbidden.
Also not allowed, because this usecase is not mention anyway. But since you have to unterlassen (omission) it will be surely included. Also when you go to the infosheet on the bottom, on page 3 citing bigger cases is to discuss with the copyright owner in every case.

In general, it is not my decision to remove it, but i know how sensitive they are and already seen real lawsuits about that. I just want to prevent damage about FreeCAD and this forum.

Greetings
user1234