FreeCAD on the web

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ragohix769

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by ragohix769 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:07 pm FreeCAD proponents who have this belief, IMO, are being naive. The large CAD companies aren't likely to have more than a passing interest in FreeCAD (or the new CAD tool in Blender) until it is taking a significant percentage of their sales.
Of course. But it's very very significant and important that in a presenteation for a really big company like Dassault they use a FOSS piece of Software like FreeCAD to declare why their product it's better!
They are not using other companies product, a competitive one on their marketshare, but FreeCAD. IMHO it's not some random stuff...
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Well to tell the truth the comparison is not so much directly to FreeCAD, but more about the different methods and workflows and FreeCAD was probably used more form convenient reasons... But still, as they say “There's no such thing as bad publicity” :)
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

saso wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:18 pm Well to tell the truth the comparison is not so much directly to FreeCAD, but more about the different methods and workflows and FreeCAD was probably used more form convenient reasons... But still, as they say “There's no such thing as bad publicity” :)
I agree, not a direct comparison, but... He used a lot of screenshots with objects modeled with FreeCAD, the program and the model opened in their official slides!
It's an incredible autogol for the company, IMHO, and a great (free) public awarness/advertising for FreeCAD :-)
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:46 pm that's how microsoft thought about linux. Microsoft has changed its mind
Hardly. Realizing that Windows is unlikely to scale as their future required and realizing there was something to address that situation with application of minimal resources (what ended up as Mariner and WSL) was a business move. Linux was not impacting their sales. It was in fact a way to add to their sales numbers.

I've sat in meetings in the largest CAD players. Things like FreeCAD are just background noise. In the late 1980's Computervison (arguably one the largest player in the 1980's) knew of the upstart AutoDesk. Even during Computervisions death throws in the 1990's, they just didn't see AutoDesk as their competitor. Until Fortune 500 companies start adopting FreeCAD, in lieu of names like Dassault and others, FreeCAD will continue to be background noise. And, to get those companies to adopt FreeCAD, there needs to be far more seamless integration of modern tools like FEM, animation, other analysis and simulation tools, and PDM.
ragohix769 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:52 pm Of course. But it's very very significant and important that in a presenteation for a really big company like Dassault they use a FOSS piece of Software like FreeCAD to declare why their product it's better!
Yet it is not particularly positive press is it? In the first slide he uses FreeCAD as an example of "the disconnected process" and "a discouraging experience".

In later slides he describes "the cumbersome process" with FreeCAD as the poster child and says the "experience is not satisfying". And, in this clip FreeCAD is never mentioned by name by the presentor (unless I missed it...).
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:46 pm ...
there are hardly any window servers on the internet today. google is linux etc etc
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:46 pm Yet it is not particularly positive press is it? In the first slide he uses FreeCAD as an example of "the disconnected process" and "a discouraging experience".
In later slides he describes "the cumbersome process" with FreeCAD as the poster child and says the "experience is not satisfying". And, in this clip FreeCAD is never mentioned by name by the presentor (unless I missed it...).
IMHO it's already a mindblowing milestone to have FreeCAD even as a screenshot in public slide of a company comparison for their product (good or bad comparison... but of course it's at least biased, because as you can imagine he cannot speak very well about another SW in competition with the SW that they are selling).

Anyway, always my 0,02, FreeCAD it's not aiming, fo course, to be a competitor for big a company, so the goal here it's not to be big music or background noise. But it's a fact that big companies, as seen, now are using it as comparinson in some way, positive or negative. FreeCAD it's spreading and growing in awarness. Even if it's a completely different competition (a FOSS it's not an easy business model... but you can name things like Red Had if you want) is a good news for FreeCAD itself.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ragohix769 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:18 pm ...But it's a fact that big companies, as seen, now are using it as comparinson in some way, positive or negative. FreeCAD it's spreading and growing in awarness....
My guess is he needed to find a graphic that was from a source that was not likely to claim any sort of infringement. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:31 pm
ragohix769 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:18 pm ...But it's a fact that big companies, as seen, now are using it as comparinson in some way, positive or negative. FreeCAD it's spreading and growing in awarness....
My guess is he needed to find a graphic that was from a source that was not likely to claim any sort of infringement. ;)
If that so, IMHO, it was a mistake, from a company POV, and some free advertising (or at least awareness) for FreeCAD, a good thing for us FreeCAD lovers :-)
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

ragohix769 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:18 pm ...
+1
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ragohix769 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:40 pm ...
If that so, IMHO, it was a mistake, from a company POV, and some free advertising (or at least awareness) for FreeCAD, a good thing for us FreeCAD lovers :-)
Sure, but, the audience probably didn't care or even recognize it as FreeCAD...but, it apparently gives FreeCAD'ers some sort of "feeling" to recognize it. 8-)