FreeCAD 0.21 hangs when opening spreadsheet on windows

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.21 hangs when opening spreadsheet on windows

Post by Syres »

I built my own Conda 0.20.1 last week (for the Sverchok integration) with as much the same as @looo builds with the weekly recipe for 0.21dev and could replicate the issue. So now I'll build the same but with Qt5.15.2 as I'm thinking Qt5.15.4 could be the root cause and I know Qt5.15.3 is to be avoided.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Well that was a waste of time, Conda won't let me downgrade just Qt due to my Cuda driver causing a conflict so another Conda user will have to try I'm afraid.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the issue still persists and it makes the weekly builds unusable on windows for spreadsheet users, how do we find what's the issue?
shaise

Post by shaise »

We are on December now and the issue still persist.
FreeCad does not actually hang completely, but starts to consume lots of memory. after about 30 seconds and 4GB of consumed memory, it is responsive again as if nothing happened. (aside from 4 gigs of wasted memory)
This also happens on LinkStage builds. (on windows)
I only recently started using spreadsheets (as a parameters holder), and it definitely hurts the usability.

shai
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

So to be clear this is a Conda and Windows based phenomena, correct ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yes, shaise has created issue #8061 to track this
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

I think this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=10 topic is probably related to this one.

I suspect the problems are on Windows 11 machines (even though FreeCAD info is saying Windows 10).

It doesn't matter which version of FreeCAD I download and install, including older versions that are working just fine in Windows 10, FreeCAD acts the same way on my new Windows 11 machine. Copy and Pasting Cells causes it to hang for ~30 and then starts to work again like nothing happened. It will work fine until I try to copy and paste a cell or cells again.

Looks like the problem has been around for a while. If any of the programmers needs additional information or help testing solutions for this issue, please let me know and I'll do what I can. I use Spreadsheet WB a lot and it basically makes using FreeCAD useless with this bug. I got this new computer specifically to speed up FreeCAD work, but because of this, I have to go back to my old computer.
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

I confirm the Windows Weekly builds are back on the site.

However, the current build still does not fix Windows 11 Copy delay in Spreadsheet WB. In fact, it is even worse. Now Spreadsheet WB stalls when you enter and close it. I am also seeing the stall happen when I try to copy an alias from the alias box. That stall is not as regular. I can't find a pattern as to when it happens.

However, the stall when you copy a cell or group of cells is pretty much every time.

To duplicate the problem, I am pretty sure you are going to need a new computer that came with Windows 11. Computers that have been upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 do not seem to have this problem.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

PAS_Drafter wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:24 pm To duplicate the problem, I am pretty sure you are going to need a new computer that came with Windows 11. Computers that have been upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 do not seem to have this problem.
I have such a computer that is set up and running FreeCAD.

However, I do not use spreadsheets in FreeCAD.

If you can post a troublesome file (MWE) I will give it a try.

(I also have Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers with FreeCAD, so I can look for differences.)

Gene
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm If you can post a troublesome file (MWE) I will give it a try.
In my case, I don't even need any information in my spreadsheet. I can open a new file, open a new spreadsheet, select 6 or 10 cells, and then Control-C to copy. As soon as I do that, FreeCAD stalls out. The CPU then starts to take off and work. ~30 seconds later everything is back to normal and you can work again.

If you can't get it to happen with a blank spreadsheet, let me know and I'll send you one to try.

Thanks for looking into it.