[UX] FreeCAD getting started wizard

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: [UX] FreeCAD getting started wizard

Post by MisterMaker »

So like I screwed around a bit with The wizard in Qt.
And at first I was like yeah make this fancy looking since everyone says Freecad looks outdated.
But then I was like, kicking out stuff that I felt not belonging in a Wizard.
And I ended up with 3 almost empty pages, and so I put it all into one page and so ended up with this:
Next page is just general information.
And yes, it doesn't look fancy because it is raw Qt without a stylesheet.
This is btw not a getting started but just a quickstart.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

This is a cool initiative and in line with an old outstanding issue.

Could someone please take the time to update the issue so it reflects the current work and make it easier to merge a solution when one is ready.

Specifically, the issue should accurately describe the problem we're trying to solve and the minimum acceptable solution criteria.

Please make the issue link to this discussion and, to the whatever degree is appropriate, continue the discussion in the issue.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Maybe something easier to do is to make a welcome image, because we are pretty limited in options in making Qt look fancy, a good way to overcome this is by using an image just like Inkscape does.
It seems the Wizard function has a limited wide setting and to get a small windows that still has plenty of space I end up with a 600 x 200 px image size.
Fg1ORZjXwAI2i5G.jpg
Fg1ORZjXwAI2i5G.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Freecad version: (I haven't figured out how to add the theme icons tho, so no checkmarks..)
no-theme:
Attachments
Freecad quickstart.png
Freecad quickstart.png (84.73 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The "Intent of use" section is potentially confusing. If its only purpose is to hide workbenches from the dropdown list then that should be clarified. Now it seems as if some workbenches will not be available at all. It perhaps also needs an "All" option.
See also: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 77#p619781

"Load from file": What can be loaded?

Maybe move the "Cancel" button to the far left?

Some other suggestions:
Looks and feel -> Look and feel
Orbit style -> Mouse navigation style
Intent of use -> Intended use
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I assume an user who uses this, downloaded Freecad for a reason and he just want too have something that will fulfil his needs. At that moment I don't think they care about what workbenches are.
The "load from file" is an idea so that advanced users can just press that and load all their settings from their own preference pack.
I'll update the text and try the layout remarks! Tnx for your feedback!
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

coup de coeur, I really like your parrot and in some way IMO gives an identity. we are far away from technical, mechanical, building and so on and that's what I like.
silopolis

Post by silopolis »

MisterMaker wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:54 am Freecad version: (I haven't figured out how to add the theme icons tho, so no checkmarks..)
I tend to very much like that compact, single screen configuration wizard, but may be less friendly for new comers to FreeCAD and CAD in general without the previews and descriptions... What about an "Expert/Wizard" button to switch between the step by step guided wizard, and the single config panel ?
The "Load from file" button is a fantastic idea. It could be moved to the "Advanced" mode.

Also, as I believe @triplus 's ToolbarStyle (https://github.com/triplus/ToolbarStyle) should fiiinally be upstreamed, I'd make provision for an additional choice along icon size.

I second @Roy_043 wording suggestions, just preferring short "3D Navigation" to stay consistent with Preferences.

About the workbenches, maybe just rephrase adding "to start with" at the end of the description sentence to make clear these are features preselections that can be augmented/adapted later to follow user's needs.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Beginners guide would be sweet.
But that is some next level stuff.
The gifs in tooltip in linkstage comes close to this. Although still lots of work to get this complete.
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

I really like the way this is going.

As for the Intent of use, this brings me to a point about the whole thing: Maybe there should be something to further explain what everything does. I don't know whether this is possible, but if you put a symbol, maybe a "?" in a circle, next to every option and when a user hovers the mouse over it, a more in-depth explanation appears (e.g. Navigation style --> "?" --> "This defines the way you navigate in the 3d view" --> Select Blender --> "Keep left mouse button pressed to rotate, press left mouse button + Shift to move sideways", something like that). For the Intent of use thing, it could include a list of the workbenches.

The "Load from file" button could be very helpful for people who want to follow a tutorial to get into FC. Someone like Mangojelly could just put a link to the stylesheet in the video description and people would have the same UI to keep things easier.

OT: If the Navigation style goes into the startup wizard, can we maybe remove it from the main view then? Unless you're a maintainer/help people on the forums, it doesn't make sense to have it this accessible at all times.